Bikes on Calmac ferries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
For anyone planning to tour the Western Isles of Scotland, Caledonian MacBrayne ferries have now made their policy on bikes completely clear. Bikes are carried free of charge (you pay as a foot passenger), stored in the designated area on the car deck. I know this has been their policy for sometime (the used to charge in the past) but it wasn't widely advertised, but now they have it on their website (al be it quietly tucked away), so I thought I would bring it to a wider audience...

Dave5N

Über Member
Good stuff. I have taken bikes over to Islay a good few times - everyone has always been very helpful. But then everyone up there always is very helpful.

The down side is that fares for vehicles have reduced so expect more c*rs and c*mp*r v*ns on the islands.

dav1d

I've only ever traveled on ferries to the Orkney Mainland, Rousay and Burray (Orkney islands), but never took bikes with me. I think the Eynhallow ferry from the Mainland (which travels to the small Orkney islands) allows bikes, not sure if they charge though? Do Northlink ferries allow bikes (they go to the Orkney Mainland)?

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
djtheglove said:
Next time I go to Islay I will just take the bike and leave the car at the ferry.

Why not take the train to the ferry and leave the car at home? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
rualexander said:
Not many trains run to Kennacraig! You can only get from Oban to Islay via Colonsay on a wednesday.

True it is not very practical, but it would be fun. I have a plan to cycle to Islay from Ardrosan Harbour via Arran and Kintye, then come back via Colonsay and Oban. There is even a special fare you help you go it, the Scottish Island Whisky Hopscotch! Maybe this year, maybe next...

Duds

worth getting an island-hopper ticket too.

as a foot passenger with a bike, it is the cheapest way to go if you are doing more than one island

Top Bottom