Bikes on Thomson flights - plastic bag OK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_m

Guru
Great news! must be chuffed

Arsen Gere

Über Member
I'm pleased it went well for you but our club has a coulpe of the DHB bike boxes, wheels have been ripped off with their fittings. Locks snapped off. Rear mech bent on a bike. Holes punched through the bottom.
I wonder if the handlers treat bikes in boxes a lot worse than they do if they are loose.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I'm pleased it went well for you but our club has a coulpe of the DHB bike boxes, wheels have been ripped off with their fittings. Locks snapped off. Rear mech bent on a bike. Holes punched through the bottom.
I wonder if the handlers treat bikes in boxes a lot worse than they do if they are loose.

Now that is a really good point.

Jannie and I have sent our bikes from Denmark and Germany to italy with Ryanair a few times in plastic bags.

They go on last and come off first and are treat like VIPs. We have never had any problems at all.

We usually start riding straight from the airport in Pisa. What would I do if I packed them in boxes. What would I do with 2 huge boxes on a bike.

Steve

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Now that is a really good point.

Jannie and I have sent our bikes from Denmark and Germany to italy with Ryanair a few times in plastic bags.

They go on last and come off first and are treat like VIPs. We have never had any problems at all.

We usually start riding straight from the airport in Pisa. What would I do if I packed them in boxes. What would I do with 2 huge boxes on a bike.

Steve
I've used soft bags, hard cases and cardboard boxes and never had a problem yet, touch wood, on maybe 30 occasions but never tried the plastic bag yet.
Mainly because I stuff the box full of tools, clothes, shoes etc. To my discredit, I dump the cardboard boxes near a bin, when nobody's looking, and scarper.

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
never tried the plastic bag yet.

Like the new cycle helmet in your profile picture Rich.

For info, here's the bike bagged up for return from sunny Agadir - check-in and hand luggage in front
20121206 (4-compressed) Agadir airport.JPG

Top Bottom