Bikes on Trains survey November 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The number of cycle-rail users is growing each year and so it’s important that the Rail Delivery Group understand how best to promote information when you’re planning a rail journey with a cycle.

We want to make your cycle-rail journey as simple as possible with the view to clarify information around station cycle facilities, hire schemes nearby and cycle restrictions on board trains.

Please take 5-10 minutes to complete our short survey. As a thank you for your time all completed surveys will be entered into a free prize draw where four lucky winners will win £25 worth of Amazon gift vouchers each.

The survey and prize draw will close on 20th November. Details of how to enter can be found at the end of the survey.

Bit.ly/PBsurvey2016

Thank You,
PlusBike Team

OP
OP
P
The number of cycle-rail users is growing each year and so it’s important that the Rail Delivery Group understand how best to promote information when you’re planning a rail journey with a cycle.

We want to make your cycle-rail journey as simple as possible with the view to clarify information around station cycle facilities, hire schemes nearby and cycle restrictions on board trains.

Please take 5-10 minutes to complete our short survey. As a thank you for your time all completed surveys will be entered into a free prize draw where four lucky winners will win £25 worth of Amazon gift vouchers each.

The survey and prize draw will close on 20th November. Details of how to enter can be found at the end of the survey.

Bit.ly/PBsurvey2016

Thank You,
PlusBike Team

summerdays

Cycling in the sun

Bit.ly/PBsurvey2016

Thank You,
PlusBike Team
The survey comes up as closed now?

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
If @PlusBike Survey 2016 ever comes back to read this, a huge omission from the survey is 'why don't you do more rail journeys with a bike'

In my case I use the train only occasionally for leisure - allowing me to do a long cycle ride and not have to cycle back to where I started. However I have experienced not being able to get on a train because there were bikes already on it (the kind where you cannot pre-book and they will only take 2 bikes). This two bike limit will stop any family or group of friends wanting to use the train for this purpose.
I have also encountered confusion about getting a ticket for the bike, and even almost lost my pre-booked place because the train staff had allowed other passengers to dump loads of suitcases in the bike space.

I would like to use the train more for this purpose, but at the moment it is too much faff.

Last edited:
We're getting new rolling stock on the line from Manchester to Liverpool via Warrington. The new trains on the YouTube mockup look fab! All modern and stuff and clean and I guess, in the video at least, never late. And everyone hates the horrible Sprinters and Pacers, right?

But... Northern have confirmed that these new trains will have no more than two bicycles per two car unit so a maximum of four so long as it's a four car train.

During the normal commute at the moment those nasty old Sprinters and Pacers regularly and comfortably carry six or seven bicycles per unit and there's no need to book. When these fancy new trains come in, there's going to be a riot.

So, whatchoo gonna do 'bout that @PlusBike Survey 2016 ?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'd echo Spinney and Mosscommuter's points - I'm a regular bike/train commuter (I used to use a full size bike, but now travel with a Brompton). Bike carriage is what matters to me, and it's a great shame that the TOCs are reducing, rather than expanding it. The fact that more than two people couldn't go on a cycling holiday together, for example, really restricts one possible use of train travel.

I'd echo Spinney and Mosscommuter's points - I'm a regular bike/train commuter (I used to use a full size bike, but now travel with a Brompton). Bike carriage is what matters to me, and it's a great shame that the TOCs are reducing, rather than expanding it. The fact that more than two people couldn't go on a cycling holiday together, for example, really restricts one possible use of train travel.
Sure, going on holiday is important, but the people I refer to are going to and from work. Every day.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Sure, going on holiday is important, but the people I refer to are going to and from work. Every day.
Absolutely - I've used the same units you're referring to in your OP when I was riding in on a full size bike. The holiday example is good for pointing up the absurdity of a two bike limit (imo) but I certainly didn't mean to diminish the importance of the space being available for day to day commuters.

This is a useless survey. The purpose of the survey seems to be how well the plus bike thingy is doing.

Well, my experience with plusbike is when they first introduced it on national rail website. It initially replaced the icon about taking your bike on the train but had no information about, so I had to book my fare without finding out about that. I hadn't bothered to click it again.

Now I have. Note on nationalrail.co.uk there are two cycle icons, PlusBike and a different one that tells you if you an take a cycle on the train.

PlusBike is still totally useless. It shows information about each station you transit through, showing whether you can lock your bike there and if there is cycle hire. There are "more info" buttons that take you to the station info page. I clicked two of them (CLJ and WIN). Neither page contained information about cycle hire or facilities at the stations. PlusBike also doesn't tell you what sort of parking there is - secure? covered? Are there many free spaces? Is it covered with labels telling you your bike will be stolen if you leave it there (eg TWI)?

And better still, i've just checked RMD. PlusBike says there is no cycle hire there, but there is. So the PlusBike contains very little information and it is not even correct.

As for the survey ....

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 13.42.42.jpg

I couldn't answer this one, as I only knew what it didn't provide. But you have to put something, so that's not getting them useful information.
Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 13.43.34.jpg

I've never used it. While that is technically "less than 1 in 4", it's not really the right answer.

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 13.45.24.jpg

I use my cycle both for pleasure and to get around. As someone who has given up their car, surely I am an important part of their audience, but I can't capture both "I like riding" and "I need to ride"

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 13.53.50.jpg

This is my favourite bit: to win a prize you have to give them your email address before you find out the terms and conditions.

Last edited:

e-rider

crappy member
If @PlusBike Survey 2016 ever comes back to read this, a huge omission from the survey is 'why don't you do more rail journeys with a bike'

In my case I use the train only occasionally for leisure - allowing me to do a long cycle ride and not have to cycle back to where I started. However I have experienced not being able to get on a train because there were bikes already on it (the kind where you cannot pre-book and they will only take 2 bikes). This two bike limit will stop any family or group of friends wanting to use the train for this purpose.
I have also encountered confusion about getting a ticket for the bike, and even almost lost my pre-booked place because the train staff had allowed other passengers to dump loads of suitcases in the bike space.

I would like to use the train more for this purpose, but at the moment it is too much faff.
agreed, bikes and trains don't mix in this country - it's just too much trouble, too difficult to organise and too risky in that with or without a booking you can easily end up not being allowed on the train with your bike

Top Bottom