Bikes on Trains survey November 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
agreed, bikes and trains don't mix in this country - it's just too much trouble, too difficult to organise and too risky in that with or without a booking you can easily end up not being allowed on the train with your bike

Exactly this - Northern don't take bookings (which would be near impossible to organise if you were commuting) and stipulate two bikes per train.
There are two issues with this - firstly that if two cyclists are already occupying the space it's down to the type of train that turns up and the discretion of the guard. To be fair most guards take a sensible approach that if you can get the bike on and keep it out of the way then they'll let you travel. Unfortunately that's not a given and on some services at the peaks they're crush loaded with passengers standing in the designated bike spaces meaning you've no chance of getting a bike on board.
Which ties in with the other point that depending on the type of train the bike spaces can be a dedicated space in the vestibule, a dedicated area at one end of the train (which can have room for 4 or more bikes, despite the two bike rule), or fold up seats by a door. Sods law dictates that the fold up seats generally have people sat in them as they're by the door - so then you have the faff of asking people to move and the complications that brings, especially if the train is busy.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
This is a useless survey. The purpose of the survey seems to be how well the plus bike thingy is doing.
I agree. However I warmed to it slightly when I got to be in the age category '26-44'.

classic33

Leg End Member
We're getting new rolling stock on the line from Manchester to Liverpool via Warrington. The new trains on the YouTube mockup look fab! All modern and stuff and clean and I guess, in the video at least, never late. And everyone hates the horrible Sprinters and Pacers, right?

But... Northern have confirmed that these new trains will have no more than two bicycles per two car unit so a maximum of four so long as it's a four car train.

During the normal commute at the moment those nasty old Sprinters and Pacers regularly and comfortably carry six or seven bicycles per unit and there's no need to book. When these fancy new trains come in, there's going to be a riot.

So, whatchoo gonna do 'bout that @PlusBike Survey 2016 ?

@NorthernDave
Confirmed last Tuesday, 7th March 17, Northern will not be replacing the Sprinters or Pacers, in this area.

Arriva will have the rail franchise from 2019. There will be no bikes at all, during peak periods(06:30 -10:00 & 16:00 -18:30) on the new rolling stock as things stand at present.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
@NorthernDave
Confirmed last Tuesday, 7th March 17, Northern will not be replacing the Sprinters or Pacers, in this area.

Arriva will have the rail franchise from 2019. There will be no bikes at all, during peak periods(06:30 -10:00 & 16:00 -18:30) on the new rolling stock as things stand at present.

Don't Arriva already have the Northern franchise? I thought the Pacers had to go as they're not DDA compliant?

Actually i was on a Pacer on Friday - they usually have what look like bus seats, but this one had some different ones that were easily the most uncomfortable I've ever encountered.

classic33

Leg End Member
Arriva Trains Northern have had it before. Currently Northern have it, with Arriva taking over in 2019. They've even repainted "Settle and Carlilse"!!

The Pacers are being refitted to last another two years, when they can at Neville Hill. They were being sold abroad, but the sale was turned downed.

Last area in the country using them!

Top Bottom