Bikes on trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OldShep

Über Member
On the trip posted above, I was met by a concerned female guard who had already sent 20 cyclists home as they couldn't take them and she thought I was going to be number 21. This was end of July this year, no reservations were possible.
On the trip posted above as far as I can work out it wasn’t the West Highland Line As it doesn’t run to Edinburgh. The new stock is for the WHL.

See post below, but my experience 9n busy lines like this is they will not accept reservations. On a recent trip to Newcastle, I could reserve my space on the virgin line from Edinburgh to Newcastle but couldn't guarantee a spot to get me to Edinburgh. Really frustrating.
What if you have a multi-leg ticket booked for a specific train? Am planning in the future to take a virgin train from carlisle then change onto scotrail from edinburgh going up the line to inverness.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
On the trip posted above as far as I can work out it wasn’t the West Highland Line As it doesn’t run to Edinburgh. The new stock is for the WHL.
The trip I was wasn't the WHL but the guard was turning them away from that line and she assumed that I was heading for Oban.

Slick

Guru
What if you have a multi-leg ticket booked for a specific train? Am planning in the future to take a virgin train from carlisle then change onto scotrail from edinburgh going up the line to inverness.
Kind of what I did except the other way. Virgin were excellent on the way down with the bike going in the old style guard van but the way home was a bit different with no seat available and the bikes meant to be hanging on a double hook thing. In my experience, Edinburgh to Inverness is where you may encounter problems, although not all agree with me. I'm sure I either started a thread about it at the time or posted elsewhere about my frustrations trying to call them and getting the run around. I'll try and find it.

Kind of what I did except the other way. Virgin were excellent on the way down with the bike going in the old style guard van but the way home was a bit different with no seat available and the bikes meant to be hanging on a double hook thing. In my experience, Edinburgh to Inverness is where you may encounter problems, although not all agree with me. I'm sure I either started a thread about it at the time or posted elsewhere about my frustrations trying to call them and getting the run around. I'll try and find it.
Many thanks. Would be pretty bad if i had a ticket booked all the way through from yorks to inverness but couldn't get beyond edinburgh and had to chuck the ticket away. May also email them in a search for a straight answer. All i need is a yay or nay from them - ticket a special price so would be booked weeks ahead.

OldShep

Über Member
Carlisle > on either Virgin or TP you can reserve a bike.
Haymarket> Inverness you can book a bike on that line.
Split ticket so I’d get both up to the "buy now" in two windows checking availability then hit buy.

Thanks for the reassurance on the scotrail bike booking on that line.
RE the ticket itself, cheaper in this instance to buy a straight-Through ticket across three companies.

Top Bottom