Bikes = punctures, cars = reliable tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
allen-uk said:
I don't want to get a puncture out there on the road, miles from home, same as most sane cyclists.

But it struck me that in 40 years of driving a variety of cars from bangers up to brand new ones, I've only had 4 roadside punctures in probably 500,000 miles. Occasional slow ones, needing pumping up and driving to tyre shops, but only 4 times have I had proper punctures.

What's so different about bikes? DO they puncture more frequently, or is it just that they're more of a pain in the bum when it does happen?

And apart from the price, is there any other disadvantage to the 'puncture-resistant' tyres now on the market?

Thanks.

Allen.

Schwalbe Marathons will give you the same sort of p*nct*re resistant as a car tyre, the tread will probably wear out without you ever getting a p*nct*re. However, they are much heavier than other tyres and are difficult to get on and off the rim, but then if you only have to do so once every couple of years (depending on annual mileage), who cares. :laugh:

If you like speed, then go for something lighter. The big difference between a bike and a motor vehicle it that you are the one doing the work. Any pillock can make a motor vehicle without putting in any effort, which is why there are so many inadequate pillocks driving...

battered

Guru
You can buy a can of goo repair kit, I carry one in town. That said, I've only ever used it once and it didn't really work. As a get you home it *might* be OK but I remember that repairing that puncture was hard work, the latex had stuck everything together and it went everywhere. I've seen inner tubes filled with goo, I've never thried them but they might work. £8 an end, but they are heavier. On a commuter this makes sense to me, weight isn't an issue.

stevepratt48

Punctures are a pain

Why not look at tubeless?
I run my MTB on tubeless knobblies, when planning a road trip (511 miles) I wanted slicks! Nobody markets 'UST' slicks, so I thought I'd try an experiment - 2 pairs of cheap Indonesian tyres, from E-Bay, cost £30 all in (For the two bikes.) I used 100ml of 'Joe's no flats latex sealant, inflated to 65psi & set off. I picked up a thorn (1") on the way South, left it in 'til I got home, no probs. When I got home & pulled it out, the leak sealed in seconds, no drop in pressure.
Whilst I use 'UST' rims (XT) I have used the no flats conversion kit (For non UST rims) equally succesful.
Yes, I do still carry a tube, just in case.....;)

Evilcat

There are 2-way fit rims from a number of vendors (my new Shimano Ultegras, for example) which work with both normal clinchers and Hutchinson's road tubeless system which is much the same as MTB UST.

If you believe the reviews then road tubeless coupled with some puncture goo is the way to go for puncture protection and performance... I'm still runing Pro Race 3 as the new Hutch Fusion 3s aren't available just yet -- when they are I'm going to switch and will report back.

EC

Top Bottom