Bikes riders use on a tough long distance event

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vorsprung

Veteran
There's a lot of talk about "I like this" or "carbon is best" or all kinds of fluff with saying what bike is best

So rather than thinking up some opinion latest blog article ...
http://audaxing.wordpress.com/2014/06/02/bikes-on-the-kernow-sw-600/

..is pictures and brief descriptions of the eighteen bikes that the finishers of the Kernow and SW 600km event used
I'm not saying any of these bikes are "the best" or anything. But the fact is that they all made it round Devon/Cornwall/Somerset/Dorset in 40 hours last weekend

MikeG

Guru
Those bikes are almost nothing to do with the route they took, or the roads they were on. They are simply a reflection of their owners' tastes, and the sort of people who ride the longer audaxes, and therefore show great variety. Audaxes are like that. You'll see plenty of carbon, and plenty of 30 year old steel fixies, and all shades between..

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Brilliant! Good to see a whole mix of Steel and Alu and Carbon all making the grade.

Well, personally I don't have the cash to buy a Carbon bike at the moment, so next weekend I have the 140K Dragon Ride to do on my 4 year old Giant Defy. To be honest, I know and love the bike so well that I trust it and know its limitations. Weight has always been a consideration and a sticking point with me, so I have put a carbon seat post on, some slightly lighter but tougher wheels and a better groupset.

Funnily enough, when I finally do come to upgrading my bike, I might even go for another Aluminium, we will see.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Brilliant! Good to see a whole mix of Steel and Alu and Carbon all making the grade.

Well, personally I don't have the cash to buy a Carbon bike at the moment, so next weekend I have the 140K Dragon Ride to do on my 4 year old Giant Defy. To be honest, I know and love the bike so well that I trust it and know its limitations. Weight has always been a consideration and a sticking point with me, so I have put a carbon seat post on, some slightly lighter but tougher wheels and a better groupset.

Funnily enough, when I finally do come to upgrading my bike, I might even go for another Aluminium, we will see.
This is the key. I didn't have enough faith in my Giant SCR A1 to attempt long distance solo rides so bought a Ti bike. I never doubted its strength and reliability and so could do long distances without any worry about the bike.
I'd be more interested in riders than their bikes.

Edit: just realised you can see that. I only checked this for the first time today, because I am sad I am not in it :sad:

http://londonedinburghlondon.com/le...ang=en&wppa-album=8&wppa-cover=0&wppa-occur=1
I didn't know that was there. Me and Lelly have achieved internet fame at last (LPY3810)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Didn't see much carbon at the Barnard Castle control of LEL.

Audaxers like their steel, not least because you tend to get more lugs for racks and mudguards.

One thing I noticed is that the majority have Brooks saddles on. Never tried one myself, but if they are comfy for that sort of distance, I might have to dig my cheque book out.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
One thing I noticed is that the majority have Brooks saddles on. Never tried one myself, but if they are comfy for that sort of distance, I might have to dig my cheque book out.

35 years ago Having had crippling arse pain after a 50 mile ride I was advised to get a Brooks leather saddle. Sorted ! No breaking in, no magic formula, comfy from the off - so I've had Brooks's ever since. BUT they don't suit everyone it seems - as tales of 100s of miles of torture to break them in would testify. For me though - perfect

PS -for the avoidance of doubt I've never cycled remotely as.far as some of the folk referred to by th OP

Last edited:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Or a Spa which are almost as good and certainly as comfy imho.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Have you ever walked a long way in a pair of ill-fitting shoes? If a Brooks, or any other saddle, fits it will be fine. If it doesn't fit it will be hell.

Top Bottom