What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doc333

Knight Of The Realm & All Around Good Guy
front disc was squeaking and doing my head in, so being a newbie I did what I have been told to do and looked the problem up on youtube. Got out my Alan keys and followed the instructions ....... worked first time and now have awesome quiet brakes again

Brava210

Über Member
Polished it AGAIN....:hyper:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Greased bottom bracket threads and pedal threads on the project build, but of a swine to get the LH crank off as the bolt holding it on was really worn so off to the LBS at the weekend for a new bolt .
Originally i thought the BB was in wrong but turns out it looks like it had not been greased enough was was not flush on the drive side so lets hope the creaking has been cured.
Indexed the commuter to counter cable stretch .

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I just spent 1.5 hours thoroughly cleaning my Vivente tourer, which is my commuting bike. The chain needed oiling twice before the black gunk stopped running out of it, but it's heaps better now :smile:. I'm definitely not a fan of derailleur adjustments, though. I had to adjust the front derailleur again, and it's still not quite right :angry:.

alans

black belt lounge lizard
As we approach the longest daylight hours period of the year I fettled into operation my dynamo front light
grin.gif

I found the correct roundtoit after only 21 months

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
I collected all my daughters stuff from Uni today, including her '70s Coventry Eagle which hadn't had much in the way of attention over the last 8 months. I noticed a bit of a wobble in the rear wheel which was due to a broken spoke, I was going to fit a new one but instead decided to replace the steel wheels (terrible braking) with some new alloy wheels. So onto Ebay and bought a pair along with a new freewheel and chain. The rest of the bike was given a good clean in anticipation of the shiny new wheels!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Did this on Sunday, but now have photos:

Finished for now the Ridgeback Platinum from @djb1971 and took it for a test ride: http://www.strava.com/activities/148180049

DSCF2106_zps8025c846.jpg

It's currently got the kit from my damaged Raleigh Airlite - so for now it sports Shimano 2300 crank / levers / etc. with new Tektro brakes from @SimonJKH and I've kept the old cables / wheels as it's a temporary installation. It'll get Shimano 105 (from the Secteur) or a Dura Ace 7800 set shortly when I've a full set of kit with new cables and bar tape plus matching bottle cage then.

Secondly, I finished the Raleigh SP150 build; repaired the original seat, fitted a new headset, crankset and front mech, used the Bars / shifters / rear mech / rear brakes from my £10 Viking Targa and bits of other stuff plus a front V-brake from @Snapper88 . It'll do as a runabout:

SP150_zps10e35812.jpg

Oh, and the Raleigh Team got a new Raceblade XL mudguard set.

Last edited:

djb1971

Legendary Member
Did this on Sunday, but now have photos:

Finished for now the Ridgeback Platinum from @djb1971 and took it for a test ride: http://www.strava.com/activities/148180049

DSCF2106_zps8025c846.jpg

It's currently got the kit from my damaged Raleigh Airlite - so for now it sports Shimano 2300 crank / levers / etc. with new Tektro brakes from @SimonJKH and I've kept the old cables / wheels as it's a temporary installation. It'll get Shimano 105 (from the Secteur) or a Dura Ace 7800 set shortly when I've a full set of kit with new cables and bar tape plus matching bottle cage then.

Good to see it back on the road, brings a tear to the eyes. We've shared some epic times, good and bad!

Glad you've mentioned changing the cage, it's a bit........red^_^

Hope you have plenty of happy miles on it:thumbsup:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Thanks @djb1971 - the frame was certainly in excellent condition.

The plan, albeit for now, is to turn it into an audax bike - with the eventual aim of London-Edinburgh-London 2017.

In the meantime, whilst Zurich insurance and British Cycling's lawyers argue the toss about my damaged Raleigh Airlite, is to use it as a commuter - hence the 8 speed setup and the bits from the Raleigh.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I hate fettling. I decided to change the pads on the BB7s on the commuter tonight. Back ones done fine, front ones the bloody cylinder inside where the pads sit and that pushes in and out on the pads has come off, no idea how to get it back on or even if it should come off. Bike totally unrideable. Will have to go to work on the road bike tomorrow if it isn't raining, or the hybrid if it is. Trip to LBS tomorrow dinner time to sweet talk them into fixing it for me.

Top Bottom