What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Joyce

Regular
done a little to my new bike, lizard skin clear patches for cable protection, DMR frame chain bounce protector, lizard skin front suspension boots/covers, merida bottle & cage & bought some basics like a matching Merida under seat bag, merida flip out multitool, lezyne glue less puncture kit, merida helmet & glasses, Royal racing 2014 jersey & Royal 30 fingerless gloves.

Finally got my act together and after some fettling in the garden (unblocking some very badly designed and badly blocked drains which involved finding a grid 12 inches below the soil level covered with plastic to stop soil getting in, it being totally blocked with debris other than soil, the entire drain pipe for the lower 2 foot being totally blocked and yeh, you got the idea....) anyhow, I have finally gotten around to fitting my summer tyres (from 23c schwalbe durano pluses to 23c conti GP40000S's which I have never tried before) to the bike - so it is guaranteed to rain for the entire weekend now. (At least the flood warnings have been downgraded to yellow from their previous red of yesterday!)

Also tinkered with the rear gear indexing using the cable adjuster to take into account the cable stretch for the new bike, and fitted the left hand adjuster block (8 degree) to the STI's. The bike came with a 4 degree adjuster block glued into place... now wondering if I should glue the 8 degree one in, but I will see how life goes. Still waiting for the right hand adjuster block to arrive... chain didn't need fettling or cleaning or anything...

Now to decide if I really want to get my MTB out and change the chain... the old one has started to slip if I put pressure down on the pedals, but not sure I really want to find out if I need a new cassette as well especially as I won't be using the bike (or any bike) for the next few weeks following my op on Monday...:sad:

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
I got home after a ruby and was eager to fit the new (er) cassette to the back of the pug. Only left the bloody chain whip at work :cursing:

A shame because I was going climbing tomorrow night and hoped the extra 3 teeth would make a difference:whistle:
Took the wheel into work and changed the cassette in someone else's time. It's just a shame it's lovely and sunny in the garden and I've cracked open a bottle of Rioja :cheers:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Tweaked the cable adjusters to take up cable stretch on the Ultegra 11 speed. Noticed how tight the clearances are, slightest drift away from perfect adjustment and you begin to hear it.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
The bike shed window was cracked, yellow and was similar to looking through the rear view mirror of a 1968 MG

DSC_2278.jpg

It is now so clear that it cannot be seen!!

^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fixed puncture on my lads school bike (yes N+1) over the weekend. Got home last night to find chain royally jammed after dropping off the granny ring, so badly the chain was 'twisted' and unuseable. Despite what my lad says 'no i didn't try to pedal', the deep gouges to the BB shell and granny ring say otherwise. I think I will be bodging a 'dog fang' out of some old rear light brackets as I've got loads.

Stephen C

Über Member
Bike has been creaking louder and louder over last week, so stripped down the cranks etc, replaced the bottom bracket (it was feeling very crunchy...), re-greased and oiled everything I thought moved...and the noise is still there!!! Ah well, the pedals turn a lot smoother now, next job is to sort out the "ticking" rear wheel, I think the bearings are not happy...

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Gave the chain a wipe down and a relube after a good soaking in the rain to and from work yesterday. Surprisingly clean still (after the complete clean I gave it at the weekend whilst cleaning the bike & replacing the rear pads) - I'm very impressed with the White Lightning Wet lube I got recently. I've been using Finish Line Wet for years and years, and used to having a black, manky chain that rusted hours after any wet rides. No rusting a no crud now!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
10mm longer stem fitted. Knowing that I always get the cables 'confused' when I've done this in the past I loosely fitted the new stem on the bars next to the old one, so was able to simply lift the old stem off the steerer and drop the new one in its place - cables undisturbed! Worked a treat. But I can never quite get the stem to line up with the front wheel accurately, as I noticed when I rode the bike, so a bit more fiddling fettling required. Any tips, anyone?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The saddle on my Basso had broken so that needed replacing. I had a spare saddle which I could use for now, but then I discovered that the Allen bolt on the saddle clamp had rounded off. It was a cheap old seatpost, so I was not too bothered about that, except for it leaving me with another problem. Then I remembered that I had a spare seatpost in my junk/spares box. Fingers crossed that the diameter was right ... It was! So, that was the seating sorted out.

The other problem with the bike was that the transmission had started squeaking, rumbling and feeling rough on my hard century ride last Friday. I thought that the bottom bracket or chain might be dying on me. In fact, the problem was that my experiment of lubing the chain with chain saw oil was a gloopy failure - the thick oil was a dirt magnet! I cleaned 90% of the muck from the chain while it was on the bike, then took it off and got most of the rest off using degreaser, cotton buds, rags and an old toothbrush. I also took the rear mech. to bits and degunked and lubed the jockey wheels, and cleaned the cassette and chainrings.

Oh, and I also scrubbed the wheelrims. Braking on my long ride had been a bit iffy at times. It felt like the rims had got some greasy/oily deposits on them.

I just went out and did a hilly 40-miler and the bike felt transformed! It was much quieter, the gear changing was slicker, and I could swear that the pedalling was easier. (In reality, I doubt that I could really sense the reduced friction in the drivetrain, but it sounded more efficient! :thumbsup:)

PS I did another hilly ride today and my bum is starting to complain - the spare saddle was a spare saddle for a reason! I must buy a replacement and donate this one to someone with narrower sit bones ...

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Rear derailleur on the SL4 hardtail gently eased back into shape after I bounced off a rock on the last ride on it. I didn't want to 'fix' it miles from home in case it snapped. Derailleurs do that when being 'fixed'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bike shed emptied, swept, cleaned and re-organised.

DSC_2294.jpg

Half of the stuff, and 3/5ths of the bikes... Still, sorted for another year now :thumbsup:

djb1971

Legendary Member
I've finally removed 30mm of carbon steerer. It's had the spacers sitting on top of the stem for a year so I thought it was about time I got it done:blush:

The bike looks better for it, slammed stem, no spacers:thumbsup:

Top Bottom