What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I did various things to the commuter bike yesterday and today:
  • removed rear tyre and checked it for glass***, as I had a puncture on Friday night riding home. As I expected, there were various-sized chunks of glass embedded in the tyre.
  • replaced a missing bolt and nut for the rear clip-on mudguard. The previous one made a break for freedom on one of my commutes this week.
  • adjusted the position of my two front handlebar-mounted lights, as they were too close, actually touching.
  • put a red rear reflector on my right chain stay.
  • re-clamped the rear derailleur cable and adjusted the derailleur again, because the chain skipped constantly during my Friday night ride home, very annoying because you can't accelerate smoothly when it's doing that.
  • and of course, thoroughly cleaned the bike, and wiped, oiled, wiped, oiled then wiped the chain :smile:.
Now it's ready for another week and 300km commuting.

*** aka bogan droppings :thumbsup:

Robeh

Ridley 3.jpg
project almost finished at a cost off £569 so far..:becool:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It turns out that I didn't tighten the seatpost clamp enough on my bike's recent fettling. The saddle gradually lowered itself by an inch over a couple of rides. I thought that something was wrong, so I measured its height when I got home after the second ride.

I noticed that the front derailleur cable had frayed and would soon have snapped, so I replaced that today. In doing so, I realised that the problem I have been having getting the chain onto the big ring (plus it rubbing on the chain once it finally gets there) is due to the bottom bracket being too long. I suspect it is >= 117 mm but I probably only need 113-115 mm. Even with maximum adjustment on the front mech. endstop, I can't get the cage of the derailleur far enough out.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Went out with the Scouts for 5 miles down the canal. One crash and one puncture. On picking up crashed bike found brake not working and forks on wrong way Sorted both in a couple of minutes. Less than a mile later puncture. Hole to small for roadside fix so put a brand new 26" tube in a 24" wheel. Some of the kids bikes were downright dangerous. Mostly no brakes.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Retrieved my Coppi roadie from Son1. Thorough cleaning and lubing, treated it to a new chain & tyres and put its SPD pedals & rack back on.

Looking forward to riding to work even more than normal tomorrow morning

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Went out with the Scouts for 5 miles down the canal. One crash and one puncture. On picking up crashed bike found brake not working and forks on wrong way Sorted both in a couple of minutes. Less than a mile later puncture. Hole to small for roadside fix so put a brand new 26" tube in a 24" wheel. Some of the kids bikes were downright dangerous. Mostly no brakes.

I did the scout ride tonight as well, adjusted one seat and amazingly no punctures

Roscoe

Veteran
Replaced the disc pads on the Kona MTB, old one's were well worn and squealing. Stopping power now greatly improved, however, squealing as bad as ever. Time to buy some disc degreasing and clean the discs I think.

Cleaned and lubed the chain/cassette etc on the road bike. I had previously been using Finish Line dry lube, however, on a whim, bought some fancy Muc Off ceramic dry lube. Never again! I have never seen so much grit etc attractted to the chain in dry conditions. Never had this issue with the Finish Line, so it's back to the old favourite.

I am impressed by the Muc Off chain degreaser spray, works a treat.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Gave the hybrid a clean and mickle. Group ride tomorrow so can't turn out with a grubby steed! Anything 14 miles plus puts it over the 1000 miles Mark, and so far has only had a new bottom bracket @ 700 miles.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It turns out that I didn't tighten the seatpost clamp enough on my bike's recent fettling. The saddle gradually lowered itself by an inch over a couple of rides. I thought that something was wrong, so I measured its height when I got home after the second ride.
(First sign of madness, replying to oneself ...? :whistle:)

I lubed the seatpost clamp bolt so I could tighten it more easily without feeling like I was going to round the Allen socket on its head. The post is staying where it should now. It is amazing how much difference a couple of cm in saddle height make!
I noticed that the front derailleur cable had frayed and would soon have snapped, so I replaced that today. In doing so, I realised that the problem I have been having getting the chain onto the big ring (plus it rubbing on the chain once it finally gets there) is due to the bottom bracket being too long. I suspect it is >= 117 mm but I probably only need 113-115 mm. Even with maximum adjustment on the front mech. endstop, I can't get the cage of the derailleur far enough out.
The BB may be a bit long, but I managed to get the mech to move further out by winding the inline cable adjuster out as far as it would go. Pulling the cable tighter before clamping it would have done the same thing but that was tricky without a 3rd hand. The big ring is much more usable now.

D

Deleted member 18052

Trying to stop the seatpost slipping down into the frame when i'm sitting on it = delivery of Fibre grip - Put that on just now and going to go for a quick spin just after 8 when i've finished remote support.

gbb

Legendary Member
Ribble Sportive Racing, Fulcrum 5s, Veloce..annoying light creak. Various checks, seatpost, stem, headset..nothing. Been riding it like that for maybe a month. Tonight, pre ride I decided the rear needs some air..undid the valve cap...huh, that didnt seel right..rear wheel is really quite loose.
Thats the second or third time its QR has come undone. Cant remember which manufacture QR they came with, but its prone to slowly coming undone apparently.
It stilll creaks a bit, but much improved.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ribble Sportive Racing, Fulcrum 5s, Veloce..annoying light creak. Various checks, seatpost, stem, headset..nothing. Been riding it like that for maybe a month. Tonight, pre ride I decided the rear needs some air..undid the valve cap...huh, that didnt seel right..rear wheel is really quite loose.
Thats the second or third time its QR has come undone. Cant remember which manufacture QR they came with, but its prone to slowly coming undone apparently.
It stilll creaks a bit, but much improved.
A set of Allen key (security) skewers are only about a tenner and will hold the wheel much better and what weight is the key.

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom