What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wisdom

Guru
Well there was no fettling planned . However when I got the roadie out for this mornings commute I had been visited by you know who so it was a quick change of footwear and out came the hybrid. Now home from work so the fettling with tyre levers starts.Why is it always the rear wheel? :pump:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Hub gear @wisdom? They can be a right PITA.

Fettling: someone had a go at my battered Gumtree special MTB at work the other day, I've been putting right their amusing handywork on trashing my brakes. Also added a set of probably gimmicky tool filled bar ends but have admitted defeat on the out of true rear wheel, its too bad for my meagre skills - trip to LBS tomorrow to see if he fancies a go. Be cheaper to buy a cheapo wheel but I'm keen to see if quite so negelected a rim can be made good again.

D

Deleted member 18052

Trying to stop the seatpost slipping down into the frame when i'm sitting on it = delivery of Fibre grip - Put that on just now and going to go for a quick spin just after 8 when i've finished remote support.

Happy to report my fettling seems to have worked *touch wood* seat post hasn't moved :smile:

Roscoe

Veteran
Took the mountain bike out last night for a wee blast, first time since changing the front disc pads.

When I fitted and tested them on Sunday, they were squealing like nobody's business. Cleaned the disc with white spirit and gave it a once over with wet and dry, still squealing.

Out for a ride last night, no squeal and brakes working beautifully, result!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Headset dismantled, cleaned, lithium greased and reassembled on the Defy 2.
Rear wheel bearings the same. Sadly no time for a test ride as I'm off to work soon.
Post fettle ride planned for tomorrow.
:smile:

Last edited:

compo

Veteran
I have this morning replaced the straps in my Lidl supplied helmet. The original straps were very soft and were fraying, and when they got a bit damp, either through sweat or rain, they stretched. I bought some nylon webbing of the same width and spent a pleasant hour re-threading the new webbing all through the various bits in the helmet.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have this morning replaced the straps in my Lidl supplied helmet. The original straps were very soft and were fraying, and when they got a bit damp, either through sweat or rain, they stretched. I bought some nylon webbing of the same width and spent a pleasant hour re-threading the new webbing all through the various bits in the helmet.
Is Harlow up north :whistle:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
well today i test rode my latest build based around a Charge Juicer frameset i got from a n other CC 'er .

all went well on first 20+ miles so fingers crossed , sorry about poor pic

Charge Juicer 003.JPG

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Big ride tomorrow. 111 miles on a single-speed. Need to get fettling...

Saddle swap, Charge Scoop to Brooks Swift.
Small saddle bag fitting = Carradice Zip Roll
Second bottle cage fitting = anything I find spare in the shed
Front brake lever torquing down as it isn't solid when honking at present
Click'R pedals swapping out with my XT's off the tourer/commuter

and i might put 28 on instead of 25s, for comfort like.

and then I'll be sorted. Apart from physically. I expect to suffer a fair bit.

111 miles on a single-speed. Stupid idea.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Big ride tomorrow. 111 miles on a single-speed. Need to get fettling...

Saddle swap, Charge Scoop to Brooks Swift.
Small saddle bag fitting = Carradice Zip Roll
Second bottle cage fitting = anything I find spare in the shed
Front brake lever torquing down as it isn't solid when honking at present
Click'R pedals swapping out with my XT's off the tourer/commuter

and i might put 28 on instead of 25s, for comfort like.

and then I'll be sorted. Apart from physically. I expect to suffer a fair bit.

111 miles on a single-speed. Stupid idea.
Good luck and fair weather fella :crazy::bravo:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Good luck and fair weather fella :crazy::bravo:
I think it will be a long slow day. could be a solitary one too. Of the five lads who said they'd do it with me, only one of whom has an imperial century under his belt, only one is now setting off with me tomorrow morning. And he is under instructions from his missus to rail bail at the first hint of trouble!

It's going to be a case of persuading him from 100km, which he's done before, to 161km for his imperial ton and then going with the "only another 19km and its 111 miles" (my sponsorship target distance) before trying to reel him in with "once around the town? Only another 21km and it's a double-century!" all the while hoping I've got the gearing right for the four big climbs in the middle and my legs and head last the distance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom