What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Gave my mountain bike a bloody good clean today, and removes he stupid plastic plate they put on the rear wheel, tough little sods they are took me five minutes to get the bugger off. I found a couple of chips on the paint work wich upset me a bit cos the bike is only about six weeks old, but I did have a crash on Tuesday so it's to be expected I suppose. Anyway it looks smashing now, it won't stay like that for long.

D

Deleted member 23692

I've de-stickered the rims on my Fulcrum Quattros. I'm not sure whether they look any better, but they must be a damn sight lighter.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Hmmm.

Stem properly torqued on tourer as the bars were creaking
Fitted dyno front light and rear light on tourer
Removed front wheel from tourer
Removed front wheel from best bike
Removed 28c Conti Gatorskin Hardshell from best bike wheel
Put gatorskin and tube on dynohub wheel from shed bought off here ages ago
Put new tyre Vittoria Open Pave tyre and tube on best bike
Put wheel back on best bike
Put dynohub wheel on tourer
Wired it all up
Fitted Extrex 20 mount to bars
Fitted bell (yes really) to bars

Have to swap the tyres on the back wheels tomorrow; I can just about cope with the wheels on the tourer not matching but I have to have the same tyres front and rear.....

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'll tease you with a big fettling job, nay - conversion, due when more parts arrive, either tomorrow or early next week ...

My 'best bike' is a Cannondale with a 53/39 chainset. That would be fine except that I seek out very steep hills - lots of them - and even though I am getting fitter and can heave my way up most short climbs on my 39/29 bottom gear, I would rather spin up them in lower gears.

My current top gear of 53/13 lets me pedal up to 35-40 mph but I only ever hit those speeds downhill, and I am happy to get my chin down on the bars and freewheel at those speeds and above.

The bike is overgeared for how I want to use it so I decided to put a triple chainset on it. I was considering various combinations of chainrings... 53, 52 or 50/42, 40 or 39/32 or 30, but have bitten the bullet and gone even lower - to 48/38/28. That means that I will use the big ring more often and stay on it longer. I will be able to climb more hills on the middle ring. I will be able to get up even steeper stuff on the, er, 'grandparent' ring. In fact, the only thing I will lose out on is top end speed that I can't really manage, and don't really need! :laugh:

I found a very nice triple chainset at a good price at Spa Cycles, a Stronglight Impact triple, and they got it to me only 21 hours after I ordered it! :cheers:

tripleiser.jpg

I have a new chain and bottom bracket on the way, and already have a new front mech which I hope will work ok with that choice of rings. (It's an Ultegra derailleur and it is designed for 52/39/30 so it might not. If it doesn't work properly it will go on eBay and I will find one that does work!)

I'll report back when I have done the conversion. If all goes well, I might test it on the fearsome local climb of Mytholm Steeps! :eek:

PS The original 10 speed Campagnolo Chorus front derailleur works perfectly with the chainset so I did not need to change it! I just had to lower it slightly.

Last edited:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Ordered an Ultegra BB for my Cube road bike. There was a creak in the old one which translated into a grumble on the workstand. Merlin are selling Ultegra BBs for £12.50 so I treated myself. When I came to remove the old one the drive side cup wouldn't budge. I broke a cheap half-inch drive socket wrench I was using on the cup socket, and ended up taking it to the LBS. Bob in there used a longer wrench and I steadied the bike while he stood on the wrench arm. When I removed the BB cup the locking compound was bunched up at the outboard end, and there were some flakes of swarf evident. We checked the threads for damage, but it was fine. When I fit a BB to a new frame I use an old cup to chase the threads before screwing in the BB, but I guess some Deutscher gorilla simply used a long bar to force it into mine when he built it. Anyway, the new BB went in absolutely square with no effort until the thread compound, so all's well. I was half-expecting to make a warranty claim on the frame. Given what I found, I expect Gunther Der Gorilla had overloaded the bearings which was why they went west after eight months' use.

Once the BB was in I took the opportunity to reset the front mech, learning that a compact double takes some finesse to set the trim properly. Sweet as the proverbial nut now. Oh, and I adjusted the brakes while it was in the stand and tweaked an errant spoke for good measure.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As you can see - I decided to stick with the tried-and-tested square taper BB!

(I decided I can't afford Campagnolo prices these days, which is why I haven't stuck with Campag parts for this conversion. I know that the mix of manufacturers will offend the purists, but tough - if I had the cash, I would still choose Campag, but I don't, so I didn't!)

Cubist

Still wavin'
As you can see - I decided to stick with the tried-and-tested square taper BB!

(I decided I can't afford Campagnolo prices these days, which is why I haven't stuck with Campag parts for this conversion. I know that the mix of manufacturers will offend the purists, but tough - if I had the cash, I would still choose Campag, but I don't, so I didn't!)
All my tools are set up for Shimano Hollowtech 2. However, I have a Gusset 24 in my Soul and a stainless steel Hope BB in my Ibis. I like the colour coordination and rebuilability of the aftermarket ones. Both have replaced the original Shimano units and run very nicely. Reminds me, I need to order a new 1/2 drive socket!

U

User33236

Spend half my lunch break tweeking the disc brakes on my CX. Stopped so much better on the homeward commute.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I replaced the rear tyre on my Woodrup Chimera. I was going to adjust the belt tension too while I was at it but having checked the tension with the tension checking tool I found that it's still within the recommended tension range after 3,500 miles of touring, FNRttC, and a few audaxes. It's still awaiting its first adjustment from new.

Roscoe

Veteran
New Schwalbe Durano fitted to the rear wheel of the Carrera. Only bought the one after the previous weekend's nightmare of getting the tyre off the mountain bike.

Shouldn't have worried, took less than 10 minutes, was actually a pleasant experience. Job done, need to order one for the front wheel now.

Top Bottom