What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Saddle swap, Charge Scoop to Brooks Swift.
Small saddle bag fitting = Carradice Zip Roll
Second bottle cage fitting = anything I find spare in the shed
Front brake lever torquing down as it isn't solid when honking at present
Click'R pedals swapping out with my XT's off the tourer/commuter
Done.
Sticking with the 25s. Where the heck is my Etrex?

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Well I've had a productive morning.
Lots of tyre swapping, new tyres on the fixed (gone for 25mm paselas), the old tyres (only 12months old) from the fixed replace the almost worn out tyres on the road bike (racer) in anticipation of my trip to France. While I was at it I replaced the brake blocks (koolstops) and swapped the saddle for a white one (I know, I know!) and replaced the bar tape to match (I'm a tart!:girldance:).
So both bikes suitably blinged up:thumbsup:
I'm going to watch the tour of Switzerland now while planning tomorrows ride, :wahhey:

Robeh

Total Build cost £610:bicycle:

Attachments

• ridley 5.jpg
    ridley 5.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 29

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Gear service on both the carbon bikes. Gave the Boardman a quick clean and the PX a proper clean, and polish, taking all the lights off and everything. I even got my white seat white again with the aid of some wetwipes. Checked all the spokes and then took the bike out for a quick 18 miler in the sunshine.

KneesUp

Guru
I found my allen keys! So I've tightened up the brake block that's been loose all week, which means I can go as fast as I am able on the way home again :smile:

Roscoe

Veteran
I am useless! Took me 30 minutes to get the back tyre off a Kona Nunu to fit a new one! I don't ever remember taking so long to unseat a tyre. God help me if I need to do that on a ride.

Disc pad replacement also took an age then struggled to get the wheel back on. One of those days!

Might look to do one of the Evans maintenance courses.

Roscoe

Veteran
In other news, finally managed to free the nut and get the back wheel off the Trek. Looks like winter salt has wrecked the cassette and the bearings. Might just buy a new wheel/cassette combo.

Oh, and the return spring/lever snapped on one of the rear brakes, so that needs replaced too.

I should leave maintenance to the experts, there always seems to be something needing fixed.

Does anyone ever have bikes that run perfectly?!

Roscoe

Veteran
Dreading fitting a new rear tyre to the road bike after the afternoon I've had!

Mechanically minded I am not!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
In other news, finally managed to free the nut and get the back wheel off the Trek. Looks like winter salt has wrecked the cassette and the bearings. Might just buy a new wheel/cassette combo.

Oh, and the return spring/lever snapped on one of the rear brakes, so that needs replaced too.

I should leave maintenance to the experts, there always seems to be something needing fixed.

Does anyone ever have bikes that run perfectly?!
All of mine..........til they go wrong :whistle:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
New bottom bracket on my brother's bike.

We went out for a 20 miler today and a little after 10 miles I noticed his bike making an odd clunk. After stopping to check and finding no obvious cause (no play, nothing loose) we continued but it got steadily worse until it was a thump that reverberated through the frame twice every revolution of the pedals.

Grabbing the cranks and manipulating them I still found no play and no feel of grinding but it did clunk once - which I didn't manage to get it to repeat.:wacko:

I've done a swap as I happened to have a new one the right size in my collection of spares and all is now silent again.:thumbsup:

Now it's out there is a very, very slight grittiness when turning the spindle. I'm surprised such a small fault made such a lot of noise.:blink:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Weekender1_zpsfd3b89bc.jpg
Peugeot Weekender- I have not cleaned the rust from this, but I did remove some old wire locker bins attached as a carrying basket to this, and I also put a front brake on it. I also pumped up the tires and did some other light maintenance. As I was testing the bike, a little child 2 doors down from me observed that I had a tiny bicycle. I got it from a Pawn Shop in trade for another bicycle I was not using, I checked the bike, removed the locker bin, and checked the mechanicals as well as splitting the bicycle apart for transport. The internal wiring for the electricals still seems to be there, BTW.

Last edited:
Cable stretch and non-indexing gears on the Tarmac - fixed!
Squealing front disc on the Tricross - fixed!

I then contemplated, for a good 5 minutes, switching some flat pedals onto the Tricross for a trip to Sainsbury's, before deciding instead to simply take a pair of crocs in my rucksack and stay clipless - then came back through the woods. Lovely evening, and not disturbed, thanks to my newly-silenced front brake :smile:

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
On my ride the other day there was a section of off road riding and my bike with 23c tyres was not very good on it so I had the brilliant idea to fit wider tyres to my winter bike and use that next time. One problem though, the winter bike has fenders fitted for 23c tyres. The 28c tyres would not fit with the fenders on so I had to re-adjust them but for some reason that wasn't a 5 minutes job. I officially declare that fitting fenders is the job I hate the most.

Top Bottom