Bikes Spokes - Boardman Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Definitely don't think of a new wheel.
A decent LBS can replace spokes and true your wheel. It's really bread and butter stuff for a decent bike mechanic (and quite easy for a home job too if you're that way inclined)

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If it's "a few" you should have the wheel rebuilt with all new spokes, as they will all be fatigued. The wheel was poorly built in the first place. Only do this if the rim is little-worn. If the braking surface is noticeably concave, get a new wheel. The hub, if it's a no-name one, isn't worth saving.

One problem is that most bike shops will build godawful wheels. It's an iterative process that takes time, and time is money.

OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
I am tempted to do it 'my way', but think I will ask a local mechanic to help me.

This is only my reserve bike, but I am lost without a bike, so need it fixed.

I have had this bike since 2010, so I imagine the spokes are pretty worn.

I will let you know what the mechanic thinks.

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers

BS

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I'd love to have a go one day. But are you sure you're Frank Sinatra and not Ron Atkinson?

ron_atkinson_aston_villa_manager_195483.jpg

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
if the wheels are 10 years old i would replace them, whats the brake track like ?
TBH boardmans tend to use mavic wheels with fomula hubs which are not the easiest to get hold of.

OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
I'd love to have a go one day. But are you sure you're Frank Sinatra and not Ron Atkinson?

View attachment 546334
Lol, miss Big Ron commentating ,but he had to go.

Top Bottom