Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Walking Wounded

• A&E out patient

• Hospitalised

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdg88

I'm interested to know how bikes compare to trikes from a safety point of view. I've been reading with interest and alarm at the number of accidents reported in the Commuting thread and got to wonder if we're all a teensy weensy bit mad to cycle at all!

I've got a recumbent trike and bought it specifically because I believe I'm less likely to have an accident, so here's a very unscientific poll to see what's the truth!

Most of my accidents have been slips and slides on two wheels. The CAtrike is much safer!

tyred

Legendary Member
I've never ridden a trike but can only recall 3 times where I have come of a bike and only one of those was in my adult life (I went down the road on my side after being caught out by black ice before Christmas, no injuries). I suppose I'm less likely to get knocked off my bike than some as I live in the country and cycle mostly on quiet roads.

Blonde

Depends what you mean by accidents really - I have only got upright two wheelers and I have had loads of "offs", but tend not to count them since most have been caused by my own stupidity (ice-skating, wet drain covers, wet level crossings..) and/or lack of bike handling skills (descents..) and not by someone else! I was however hit by car in June last year, side on, at right angles. The car drove straight into my rear wheel when pulling out of a side street, over a Give Way line (with Give Way sign). Amblulence was called and I was taken to casualty. Nothing was broken, but soft tissue injuries and scarring were caused. Bike damage: front wheel out of true, paintwork, saddle and brake levers scratched, bar tape torn, and rear wheel totally written off.

OP
OP
J

jdg88

There's a flaw in this poll (and I posted it!!) it's not possible to distinguish the vehicles, so we can't tell which has had what kinds of accidents. Anyone think it should be re-done say one for diamond frames, one for recumbents and one for recumbent trikes? Interest in this one hasn't been as much as I had hoped, perhaps it's a little to do with the fundamental flaw, perhaps it's too much like tempting fate!! :smile:

Top Bottom