Bikes with petrol engines bodged on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

humboldt

Anyone else seeing an increase in these recently? Totally illegal and far more dangerous than an actual moped I'd assume along with zero insurance and registration. I saw a Deliveroo driver blatting about on one last night (overtaking cars uphill without pedalling) and immediately grassed him up to the company; Roadsafe probably won't care at all but it might be worth reporting him there too. Saw a guy on Green Lanes a few weeks ago on what looked like an ancient roadster frame with an engine belching smoke and feeble looking brakes. I can only assume that if he had actually tried to put the brakes on at any speed that was supplied by the engine he would either just not stop at all or would bend the bike in half or something.

(For reference on the speeds these can do.)

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I saw one on the local Greenway at the end of the last half term. Broken down and tinkering.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I've seen a couple of petrol driven bikes on my commute, also an electric bike that is either a Stealth Bomber B52 or an H-52 (I think they're around £4,000). Either way, it's capable of 50mph and is not road legal. I don't know if the owner realises he's risking a lot of fines and a lot of points on his licence.

b52-hero.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
These electric motorbike (for that's what they are) loonies are going to get all electric bicycles banned unless licenced and insured. The government are already mulling it, and seeing as our transport Secretary loves dooring cyclists the government isn't likely to prove sympathetic if these fools don't wind their necks in.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
These electric motorbike (for that's what they are) loonies are going to get all electric bicycles banned unless licenced and insured. The government are already mulling it, and seeing as our transport Secretary loves dooring cyclists the government isn't likely to prove sympathetic if these fools don't wind their necks in.

Indeed.

Just look at Norn Iron where e-bikes are now required to be registered, taxed, insured and their riders forced to wear motorcycle helmets!

There's a guy rides through Wombwell on some form of electric modded bike. He's easily doing 35mph.
As above the majority will be punished and good technology suppressed due to the actions of a minority.

Top Bottom