Billy no mates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
A few years back, the GLW and I were on a 100 miler. Towards the end of the ride, a young lad on a fancy road bike began drafting me. Now, we were the only riders for some distance, so why said lad didn't just zoom past us, anyone's guess.
The thing is that I don't like folk right up behind me, so I guess I'll never make a competition rider. Anyway, I couldn't shake this lad off, so I simply decided to test my brakes.
He backed off some distance and stayed there.

This really does deserve a
View attachment 410912
:okay:

I think it might have achieved the double.......

Thanks. I did try hard to get as many of the standard replies into my post as possible. Although I omitted ‘I was just at the end of a 200km ride and needed the break’ as it already been quoted.

:okay:

Graham

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
This is why i have given up on riding with the fast group on a sunday , its all about riding a couple of inches from the wheel in front and avoiding hills to get their average .
I would rather go a bit slower and enjoy a chat and some incline .
Once the group had to avoid some road debris so i touched the brakes as the bunch had slowed significantly and guy behind ran up my ass and made out it was my fault , no ta .
If i want to blast it i have my commute , a solo ride or a ride mate .

Ajax Bay

Guru
A few years back, the GLW and I were on a 100 miler. The thing is that I don't like folk right up behind me, so I guess I'll never make a competition rider. Anyway, I couldn't shake this lad off, so I simply decided to test my brakes.
This was not sensible, reasonable or kind. Just ease off or pull right a metre and ease off. Where was your "GLW" all this time while you were attempting to "shake this lad off"?

D

Deleted member 26715

Shirley if your mates had left enough room for said freeloader to get on your wheel they were too far behind you

vickster

Legendary Member
If someone tries to draft me, I just slow right down gradually, it’s then up to them to go past. I don’t like riding close or being drafted so I don’t ride in groups

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
What am I missing? If you were chain ganging why was there enough room between you for him to try to jump on your wheel?
There was not enough room. That was the problem. He saw my front wheel then decided to up the pace to sytay with me.i gave the
Ah ... "keep left". Is that just code for "get out of my way"?

You were riding with rather large gaps for it to be considered a "chaingang".

I had a similar incident on an audax* a couple of years ago. Narrow-ish road with hideous crappy road surface on the left, so I was riding centrally in the lane. There wasn't sufficient visibility to overtake. Club train behind me calls "on your right". I hold my line as I don't want to ride in the crap. They can't overtake so they call "on your right" again ... and again, and give me a "FFS" as they pass when it is finally clear for them to overtake.

No, mr pretend racer, I'm not riding in the gutter for you any more than I will for anyone else.

* Ditchling Devil. Pale blue kit. No prizes for guessing which club.
There were no gaps i gave him plenty of room. As soon as he saw my front wheel he pulled out.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
ahhh, that was me - sorry. No manners

simongt

Guru
This was not sensible, reasonable or kind. Just ease off or pull right a metre and ease off. Where was your "GLW" all this time while you were attempting to "shake this lad off"?
The GLW was as usual, some distance ahead ( I get my revenge on hills - ! :rofl: ). And despite my variously speeding up / slowing down over a couple of miles to try and shake him off, yon lad wouldn't take the hint; thus the 'brake test.'

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I tend to go out with 'social' rides now - all off road, but everyone has different skills. We all regroup at the top and bottom of hills - I'm quick up, but slow down, so where I have to wait at the top, they have to wait at the bottom for me. Those that want to blast of can, but we wait and regroup.

I used to do the chain gang training rides many years ago, we'd go out for 2-3 hours and we'd hammer it, and be home. Bit different to the sunday rides where the pace would be sensible, and we'd be out most of the day.

Top Bottom