Bingley - Ingleton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Di Di

Planning on doing this is morning.

Anyone done this (or thereabouts) and could recommend the best route?

How demanding is it?

Cheers ears :smile:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Do you want the road or off-road route?

You could take the canalside Sustrans route to Silsdn, turn left at the end (it turns to mud!) and go through to Gargrave, up the hill to Airton & down into Settle. Then either the A65 to Ingleton or the quieter route via Ribblehead.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Do you want the road or off-road route?

You could take the canalside Sustrans route to Silsdn, turn left at the end (it turns to mud!) and go through to Gargrave, up the hill to Airton & down into Settle. Then either the A65 to Ingleton or the quieter route via Ribblehead.
Settle to Ingleton can be done parallel to the A65, without having to go up to Ribblehead (although the scenery that way is lovely).
upload_2014-3-14_13-56-47.png

For the bit where it looks as if you are on the A65 (between Austwick and Clapham) there is actually a cycle path next to the road. You don't want to be cycling on the A65 if you can help it - busy, with lorries, and not very wide along that stretch.

MarkF

Guru
My training route is to Skipton via Bingley every weekend, by road, canal sometimes both, the latter is fine now BTW from Leeds right through to Skipton.

Road, the A629 is fine from Bingley to Skipton, the traffic now goes on the Aire Valley trunk road and once past Keighley it is quiet. Last 4 miles to Skipton, busy but wide.

I like Spinney's route suggestion, I'd ride that. The A65 is a bugger, stressful, I try not to use it, but................Saturday is the best day to use it if you have to, lots of haulage not running and the Sunday drivers yet to get going. It's a slog but not very demanding IMO and I am a 50+ plodder. :smile:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Can't comment on the route, but there's a high end bike shop to visit when you get there.

http://www.escapebikeshop.com/

Top Bottom