Bingo Wings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BearPear

Veteran
Having studied the physique of the elite cyclists, (in innocence of course) I can't help but notice that they have slim, muscular arms. This led me to wonder if I might be able to firm up the old bingo wings while cycling, and if so, what is it about riding that would do this?

I know I have a strong grip, particularly on hills, going up and down, but is it more than the act of holding on that helps this area of the arms? Or is it an aesthetic benefit of being a top-class athlete and I, as a pootler, have no chance of banishing the dreaded wings?

Steve H

Large Member
I've only just started cycling, but definitely feel that I have firmer forearms and shoulders. I think it is simply from holding your weight on the handlebars whilst riding. Not sure it will help with bingo wings or not!

OP
OP
BearPear

BearPear

Veteran
Hi Steve - we aren't a million miles apart, geography wise. I wonder if the grip is tighter while riding our many hills than those riders who are more used to a flatter ride, hence an improvement in arm strength/condition?

montage

God Almighty
I believe bingo wings are often a bit of flab or the skin from lost fat. Cyclists have an extremely low bodyfat %.....bradley wiggins was reported at less than 4%bf in last years tdf. Their arms are slim because they have no fat and very little muscle.

You want toned arms? Hit the weights/do the press ups :becool:

OP
OP
BearPear

BearPear

Veteran
you've obviously never seen me attempt a press-up, I'm rubbish! Zero upper body strength.

My bingo wings are un-toned bits of arm, I have never been 30 stone and slimmed down leaving lots of lose skin behind!

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
If you have the room, buy yourself a heavy punchbag and a pair of mitts.

10 mins a day picturing the boss/husband/wife/mother in law will soon get rid of the bingo wings... and a load of stress too.

jimboalee

'Bingo wings' are a site of energy storage.

To reduce their size, expend MANY more calories than you intake.

A popular weight loss myth is the 'Fat targeting' myth. There is no such thing as an exercise which 'targets' a particular 'energy storage site'.

It comes off uniformally.

Triceps ( Bingo wings ) is one of the skinfold test sites in every procedure for estimating Bodyfat %.

Running or cycling will reduce the triceps skinfold as much as Karate, fence painting or car polishing.

montage

God Almighty
tricep excersizes (such as press ups and tricep dips) will help reduce your bodyfat percentage (if you have 20% body fat but then gain muscle, keeping the same amount of fat, you then are reduced to 18% bf) - this is the only truth behind the myth of targeting areas to lose weight. But jimbo is right (when is he not?) that you cannot just lose fat from one area by targeting it.

jimboalee

montage said:
tricep excersizes (such as press ups and tricep dips) will help reduce your bodyfat percentage (if you have 20% body fat but then gain muscle, keeping the same amount of fat, you then are reduced to 18% bf) - this is the only truth behind the myth of targeting areas to lose weight. But jimbo is right (when is he not?) that you cannot just lose fat from one area by targeting it.

Oh yes you can.....

scalp.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hilldodger said:
This will sort you out:biggrin:
xlt_350x242.jpg
I watched a group of hand-cranked wheelchair tricyclists climb up Fleet Moss in the Yorkshire Dales once. The main part of the climb from that side averages 9% for 2.6 km but has some steep stretches at about 20% - it was very impressive!

Top Bottom