Biopace chainrings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I bought a biopace chainring for my road bike after my outer chain-ring bent over while out cycling. It was cheap, the right number of teeth and fitted. However, I didn't realise it was eliptical. I haven't really noticed any difference, but now I'm concerned I put it on wrong, because I suppose you'd want either the long or short end to be at the top of the stroke. How can I tell?

Will1985

Über Member
Sheldon Brown has a bit about them: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/biopace.html

"Biopace chainwheels have the small radius engaged when the cranks are horizontal, the large when they are vertical."

Jan Ullrich used elliptical chainwheels IIRC. That might make sense with what I have just read on another website which says it is harder to pedal good circles with them as he was a bit of a grinder.

Does that help?

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Yes, thanks Will. If it's good for knees and good for triathletes, then perhaps I won't replace it like I was thinking of doing.

Out of interest, that stud that comes out the side of the the chain-ring, where should that go? Does it indicate something?

Theres a timing mark on the inside edge of the ring which should line up with the RH crank. According to Shi**no that is.

The general consensus is that the long axis of an oval ring should be at 90 degrees to the crank. Worth having a play to see what suits you.

MartDavis

Veteran
"Biopace chainwheels have the small radius engaged when the cranks are horizontal, the large when they are vertical."

Am I missing something here? When the cranks are vertical, there is less torque due to the force being partially transmitted along the length of the crank, thus making it harder to pedal. So surely it would seem to make sense to have a smaller radius at that position thereby making it easier to pedal.

BTW, I have biopace on my tourer and can't tell and difference, but maybe that's because the large radius operates with vertical cranks, as in the OP.

Graham O

There are two schools of thought with elliptical chainrings. The mechanical advantage approach says that you want the maximum effect when the cranks and greatest diameter of the chain ring are horizontal, but that makes the wear and tear on the knees and ankles the greatest as they have to change direction at the greatest speed.

Alternatively, and the biopace rings use this theory, the cranks are 90 degrees away from the maximum diameter which does not significantly affect mechanical advantange, but it does mean that the joints change direction at a slower speed and hence suffer less damage.

This is the reason why some people say that Shimano got them exactly wrong.

Of course, I could be wrong! :rolleyes:

wafflycat

I've got my 1989 hybrid with a Shimano Biopace chainset on it (triple). Can't say I've ever noticed any difference concerning 'feel' from the eliptical shape as opposed to the 'feel' of a circular chainset.

col

Legendary Member
I thought there was actualy no difference when all comes to all with these rings?Im sure there was something about them a long time ago?

andygates

There's bugger-all difference in how fast you actually go. But the sharper-shaped weirdnesses do feel different when you pedal: a biopace granny ring feels very stomp-stomp-stompy, it's really hard to pedal in circles.

bobg

Über Member
wafflycat said:
Can't say I've ever noticed any difference concerning 'feel' from the eliptical shape as opposed to the 'feel' of a circular chainset.

Me neither - I particularly like 'em 'cos they're usually dirt cheap on E Bay following their demise due to experts suggesting that they caused knee damage. :biggrin:

Dave5N

Über Member
Invest the money you've saved. You might just need it for some reconstructive surgery!

(Only kidding, as Andy said they feel a bit weird but I can't see how they could damage the joints.)

Top Bottom