Bird Box Cam and wifi...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I have installed a mini camera into a nesting box and attached a wifi receiver unit to the TV. It all works fine but when I disconnected the plugs, my wifi wouldn't work on the laptop. After a call to Virgin via Bangalore the phone 'engineer' reset my channel and it now works again.
Any idea if it will bugger up the wifi every time I use the mini cam? I'm reluctant to try again.

Maybe the top of your nesting box has new inhabitants, rich? A friend who works for Virgin said it usually works fine, except for when a bird box goes Tits-up. Then you've got problems.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I bought a nest box and camera for my dad a couple of years ago. He bought a very cheap laptop and my parents watch the birdies on that. No problems with their wi-fi which is with BT.
The leads won't fit in my laptop but I'd prefer to do that if I could. The wifi issue would still be there though

Wot make is the camera? I can check the tech specs if I know and offer some sage advice, which funnily enough I'm cooking with tonight.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I'm building a new bird table tomorrow, a fox keeps leaping onto the current one and wrecking it, any tips for an anti-pigeon/magpie one too, I know they're also birds I just don't want the bastards in my garden?!

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm building a new bird table tomorrow, a fox keeps leaping onto the current one and wrecking it, any tips for an anti-pigeon/magpie one too, I know they're also birds I just don't want the b******s in my garden?!
Is it covered? Mine was so I pinned some dowels a few cms apart to only allow little'uns in

Doseone

Guru
I have installed a mini camera into a nesting box and attached a wifi receiver unit to the TV. It all works fine but when I disconnected the plugs, my wifi wouldn't work on the laptop. After a call to Virgin via Bangalore the phone 'engineer' reset my channel and it now works again.
Any idea if it will bugger up the wifi every time I use the mini cam? I'm reluctant to try again.

When you say "nesting box" you mean "neighbour's bedroom" don't you?

It's not technically a WiFi camera but it is wireless and transmits at 2.4Ghz so I can see how there might be interference with your WiFi. The mystery is why this interference only manifested itself when you unplugged it (rather than when you plugged it in).

It's airways possible something else is interfering and the camera is a coincidence.

Anyway, sometimes when wireless phones or doorbells and the like interfere with one WiFi channel they don't on another so you'll probably be OK. Only way to know for sure it's too try it!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I wasn't......this time......... and Mossy beat me to it. It's independent of your WiFi but probably interfering with it. You have a choice of nine channels on your WiFi if you can get into the router setup pages, or phone support. Choose a different channel or move the transmitter box or the router to minimise interference.

Nobody wants your technical advice, pal, you can't even operate a computer.

Top Bottom