Bird Feeding Ruined By A Rat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
I happened to look out of my kitchen window today to see a rat climbing up my bird feeding station. I dashed outside and scared the rat off but to be on the safe side I've had to throw away the food and remove the feeding station.

I actually feel quite upset by all of this. I enjoyed looking out at the birds. There was a blackbird and a robin that visited every day. Today they looked confused. All the birds did. I feel so sorry for them.

Does anyone know the best way to get rid of a rat? I might put some humane traps down but I won't use poison. I don't want to hurt anything that's not a rat.

AndyRM

XOXO
Some good advice on this thread - https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/rats.172365/

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
Rats are considered a health hazard and can spread disease. I'd have no problems with feeding a rat if it wasn't for that and I could be sure I wouldn't end up over run with them. I quite like pet rats.

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
The RSPB encourage the feeding of garden birds so they can't be that bad. People actively destroy rats because they're a health hazard.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Was your feeder on a pole? You could try the squirrel-proof pole option:
e.g put one of these things on the pole:

Attachments

• rspb bird feeder pole squirrel proof - Google Search - Google Chrome_2015-01-19_15-15-41.jpg
    rspb bird feeder pole squirrel proof - Google Search - Google Chrome_2015-01-19_15-15-41.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 19

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have put a Fenn trap in a suitably blocked-off tunnel under the rabbit hutch, because a rat was seen whilst we were having breakfast the other morning. This will kill a rat very humanely.

Air rifle safe storage requirements imposed by law and by having a young family make it harder to deal with the rat as I would have done 25 years ago !

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I've added the pic that was supposed to be in my previous post!

I've also got a pole with an extra tube around the outside with a spring - I think the idea is that if the squirrel jumps on it and grabs the external tube, it falls off when the tube descends on the spring - but couldn't find one with a quick google. The things in my pic above look more effective to me, and probably cheaper!

Top Bottom