Birmingham Student Housing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Normally for the first year most students stay in uni halls of residence?

Katherine

Guru
Halls first year. They make friendship groups and by January are starting to arrange where they are moving out to in the second year. Usually to the Selly Oak area. Need to put deposits down for the accommodation even though they won't be moving until the end of the summer term.
Miss K is in her 5th year there.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
There seem to be new halls being built all the time. Important for a student, historically there were no pubs in Bournville.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Oh, my area. Worth a longer chat, this one. Selly Oak / Bournbrook are the traditional student areas with lots of Edwardian terraces. Bournville is way too aspirational and no pubs. Since the growth of student accommodation, areas such as Selly Park/Ten Acres and Stirchley, whilst having the appropriate housing, are getting less studenty.

tom73

Guru
Halls for the 1st year is best way to go. Uni's have spent big bucks on them in the last few years they are now we'll worth a look. Many areas also have private build student flats which again are miles away from the student digs of old. Both will come with every thing inc in the renting privately mostly don't.

The other things is you make friends and the quickly learn who you can live with and who are total slobs who have never seen the need to clean up.
Much better to find out that way than have to do it in a home you are renting with no one but the you to clean up the mess of everyone else.

BrumJim

Birmingham Uni Halls around the Vale are great. Very close to the Uni and a very pleasant lakeside setting. This is where I spent my first year.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Son is a fresher there. He's on the Vale (Tennis Courts) in his first year. For second year virtually everybody goes to Selly Oak. V convenient for university, loads of shared house accomodation. Never heard of anyone staying in Bournville

Chris S

Legendary Member
Stirchley has lots of small/medium terraced houses. It's about a mile south east of the University and there aren't any direct busses. There are a lot of students there so presumably they walk, cycle or drive to the university.

Stirchley, Selly Oak and Bournbrook have really high burglary rates. Burglars target the area because they know students will have expensive electronic gadgets and the houses (being rented) will have poor security.

I don't have any experience of Bournville but it's a bit more upmarket and a bit further away.

BrumJim

The roads around Dogpool Lane, Kitchener, Hobson, Cecil, Manilla, Fashoda are a good bet.

Is she creative? Stirchley is where a lot of the creatives are hanging out, with a whole hash of super-trendy places opening up. The ones that aren't expensive yet.

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
Thanks all

She's already stated that she doesn't want Selly Ok

As for 'Halls' & such, she's slightly introverted, not a partier (when schoolfriends had 'parties', I'd often have to go collect her, when the drunkenness started, as she wanted no part of it)

We'll see, as I guess it's not up to me, more of a 'Senior Management & associate' issue:whistle:
I'll ask Miss K.
Does she know anyone else who she'd like to share with?
Is she looking for a room in a house/flat?

Top Bottom