Birmingham to London on the Grand Union

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brian123

Has anybody ever completed Birmingham to London on the towpath of the Grand Union Canal, if so , what are some tips and advice?

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
No, but the advice generally is take a week and use a hard tail mountain bike at the very least. Footpath is great until you reach the edges of civilisation (Birmingham), and which point it becomes a bumpy dirt track.

Try here, though.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
And on that other thread, yonder gadgie wanted to do it in one day!
I'd allow at least 2 full days and up to about 6 days depending on your level of fitness and how fast or leisurely you want to take it.

OP
OP
Brian123

Brian123

Has anybody ever completed Birmingham to London on the towpath of the Grand Union Canal, if so , what are some tips and advice?
Cycling on the canals on the outskirts of Brum is just like begging to get robbed. Do it on an rusty old Apollo if you have to.
That made me laugh a little, I do the Birmingham canals nearly every day , and yes I do have one of those! haven’t been robbed yet!

OP
OP
Brian123

Brian123

No, but the advice generally is take a week and use a hard tail mountain bike at the very least. Footpath is great until you reach the edges of civilisation (Birmingham), and which point it becomes a bumpy dirt track.

Try here, though.
Thanks

@Brian123

I've ridden all of it between London and Long Buckby. (live in MK) as others have said, the tow path is great in places, shabby in some and in the current weather, rutted and difficult.

unfortunately one of the best reasons for riding the canal (the plentiful pubs) are closed.

i would also say that prepare for punctures unfortunately as the tow paths are lined with Hawthorn.

there are plenty of wild camping spots if that's your thing and for the most part, supplies would be easy to get a hold of by wandering off the canal a few minutes in most towns.

its a ride ive planned for years to do but something or other gets in the way. tbh, id probably get a train to Bham international and ride back from there if i fancied completing the ride.

let me know if you go ahead, i can help with local knowledge in the MK area.

all the best

I have the idea that riding continuously on canal towpaths can get a bit boring after a while. You don't need suspension though.
I have ridden birmingham to london, first miles on the canal. Didn't feel any more dangerous than any other canal. It was morning when i was on them.
Rest of route was a quiet one on roads. Took me two days, i bivvied in a field and had a wonderful breakfast with fresh espresso by the lake at Blenheim, though maybe strictly shouldn't have been there.
I can supply the gpx route if you are interested.
Plus gpx of bivvy spot and best way into blenheim.

Drago

Legendary Member
You can quite legally do it, but lately a number of canal dwellers are taking exception, sometimes violently so, to people cycling on the towpath, so be prepared for a bit of friction.

If you do go for it let us know your itinerary. I'm only a mile from the canal and could meet up for a cuppa.

Brummie53

I’ve never ridden the canal paths around Birmingham but have done some walking on them. By their nature and the fact you are usually in a cutting particularly in the inner city and the suburbs there is plenty of hiding places for those who are up to no good. Having said that I’ve never had any problems. Generally the surfaces are pretty good. Hope this helps

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
How do you find the canal paths around birmingham?

I'm on their regularly, particularly during lockdown as I take my little one out for a morning ride. Footpaths are generally good until you get out of Birmingham city limits, although it is heritage-rough around the north of the city centre from Lego/Sealife Centre up towards Aston junction.

There are a few crime hotspots, particularly around Ackers and Small Heath. There have also been some recent incidences around Wolverhampton and on the usually placid Birmingham and Worcester around 5 ways where several cyclists got pushed into the canal for some 'fun'. It doesn't happen often, but if it does, it would shake you up a bit.

On the other hand, you are away from traffic and most pedestrians / runners are polite and cheerful, particulary if you give them plenty of warning with your bell. The wildlife is good to watch down there, with the crazy moorhens and graceful herons, although the geese can get very stroppy when they have goslings with them. I'd recommend taking some bread with you in May / June to distract them if necessary - just throw it into the canal.

Top Bottom