Birthday ideas for an 18 y.o. budding jazz musician?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Squire
My cycling buddy's son has his 18th birthday soon; he's a talented keyboard player and is already playing in a couple of jazz bands. I'm trying to think of something better than a Park Tools pizza cutter to give him to take away to uni.

The good folk on STW didn't come up with a single suggestion so let's see what CC can manage!
 
Last edited:

swee'pea99

Squire
I know it's a bit obvious, but you can't go far wrong with Oscar Peterson. Many excellent CDs on Amazon. I think if it was me I might go for this collaboration with Stan Getz. But like I say, for a budding keyboards player, OP's yer man.
 
OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Squire
Nice ideas but he's already got a massive CD collection and even more music on his iPod. The magazine subscription idea ain't a bad one...
 

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I know it's a bit obvious, but you can't go far wrong with Oscar Peterson. Many excellent CDs on Amazon. I think if it was me I might go for this collaboration with Stan Getz. But like I say, for a budding keyboards player, OP's yer man.
I second this. Stan Getz is a real favourite of mine and this collection with Peterson is superb.
 

Pro Tour Punditry

Legendary Member
What about giving him an electric guitar, get him playing proper music ;)
 

TreeHuggery

Veteran
Location
brinsley
have a look on ebay and see if there are any vintage jazz magazines or autographs from musicians he admires - if you want it to look more of a nicely packaged gift,you could always get it framed up to give
 
As a budding Art Tatum he probably has all the "jazz orientated" thingies so look totally outside the box! Can't advise as I don't know the lad.
I play golf (very badly) so receive an endless stream of golf bits which, if I'm honest, are totally inappropriate.
Buy for the man, not his hobby!
 

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I agree with HertzvanRental, he's probably got the music thing covered unless there is something specific he actually wants.
The pizza cutters not a bad idea! lol as a student to be, at least it'll get some use! ha ha.
 
Top Bottom