1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit Morbid

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by gambatte, 20 Nov 2007.

1. gambatte

gambatte Middle of the pack...

Just the last week we've been seeing the news articles about the 2 young womens bodies being recovered.

I've been thinking about some of the other victims in this, like the family that has lived in the house for the last 12 years.

If someones in a situation like that, how do they stand? OK the police will be putting them up in a hotel whilst investigations are carried out, but what happens then? Do the police pay to put the house back in order and then pass the keys back? Is it an 'insurance job'? Are you expected to just move back to a house where 2 bodies have been dug up? Do you just have to 'suck up' the fact that your house may now be, if not unsaleable, substantially reduced in value due to its reputation?

Any answers?

2. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

Locate a good exorcist!

No, I agree. It's not the kind of thing that, once the police are satisfied that there aren't any bodies left to discover, you can return to your normal life!
    Or you could turn it into a tourist attraction like the Wests' house in Gloucester.

3. invite the 'most haunted' crew around and cash in.

4. gambatte

gambatte Middle of the pack...

I thought they eventually knocked that down, because of the attention it was getting?

5. KitsuneAndy

KitsuneAndy New Member

I think sometimes they rehouse the families and (like in the Fred West case) the building is demolished.

6. Rillington Place was renamed

7. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

It looks like a LA house to me and for their sakes I hope it is.
    The Wests house was demolished and a garden of rememberance now sits there.

8. Pete

Pete Guest

Not merely re-named, but later the entire street was demolished and no longer exists. Cromwell [Fred West] Street still exists I believe, although not the house in question. The public has no relish to preserve these relics it seems...

9. I believe they were council tenants and they've already been rehoused. But is must send a shiver down their spines they would have walked by/ on top of that spot without knowing:ohmy:.

10. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

I've read this, certainly is a bit morbid. Apparently there might be 15 others still yet to find.
    Sounds silly but maybe it should go down on the list of possible things to check when buying a house, estate agents could include it in surveys/searches? That radar scanner thing they just pushed around the garden like a lawnmower seemed pretty easy and avoided having to dig up absolutely everywhere.

12. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

It's a bit more complicated than just pushing it round the garden. It doesn't give you an x-ray clarity picture of what's under the ground. As with any geophysics, you need to know what to look for in the results, and any anomalies might just as easily turn out to be buried pets, old pipes, or cables, filled in ponds, etc especially in a garden situation. You'd end up digging up most gardens to check I suspect.

I can see why people wouldn't want to go back to a house in that situation, and it sounds like it's been pretty much ripped apart inside anyway, but I bet many many people are living in houses where people died, without a clue, and perfectly happy.

13. My best friend is a crime scene manager and she said they'd basically rehouse the family. When the police search places in cases like this apparently the house is completely ripped apart/raised to the ground anyway.

14. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

Could be a good money-spinner for Sarah Beeny.

Did anyone see those idiots last night? What a pair (of chumps).