Bit Morbid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Just the last week we've been seeing the news articles about the 2 young womens bodies being recovered.

I've been thinking about some of the other victims in this, like the family that has lived in the house for the last 12 years.

If someones in a situation like that, how do they stand? OK the police will be putting them up in a hotel whilst investigations are carried out, but what happens then? Do the police pay to put the house back in order and then pass the keys back? Is it an 'insurance job'? Are you expected to just move back to a house where 2 bodies have been dug up? Do you just have to 'suck up' the fact that your house may now be, if not unsaleable, substantially reduced in value due to its reputation?

Any answers?

Locate a good exorcist!

No, I agree. It's not the kind of thing that, once the police are satisfied that there aren't any bodies left to discover, you can return to your normal life!
Or you could turn it into a tourist attraction like the Wests' house in Gloucester.

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Dayvo said:
Or you could turn it into a tourist attraction like the Wests' house in Gloucester.

I thought they eventually knocked that down, because of the attention it was getting?

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
It looks like a LA house to me and for their sakes I hope it is.
Dayvo said:
Locate a good exorcist!

No, I agree. It's not the kind of thing that, once the police are satisfied that there aren't any bodies left to discover, you can return to your normal life!
The Wests house was demolished and a garden of rememberance now sits there.

Pete

laurence said:
Rillington Place was renamed
Not merely re-named, but later the entire street was demolished and no longer exists. Cromwell [Fred West] Street still exists I believe, although not the house in question. The public has no relish to preserve these relics it seems...

gambatte said:
Just the last week we've been seeing the news articles about the 2 young womens bodies being recovered.

I've been thinking about some of the other victims in this, like the family that has lived in the house for the last 12 years.

If someones in a situation like that, how do they stand? OK the police will be putting them up in a hotel whilst investigations are carried out, but what happens then? Do the police pay to put the house back in order and then pass the keys back? Is it an 'insurance job'? Are you expected to just move back to a house where 2 bodies have been dug up? Do you just have to 'suck up' the fact that your house may now be, if not unsaleable, substantially reduced in value due to its reputation?

Any answers?

I believe they were council tenants and they've already been rehoused. But is must send a shiver down their spines they would have walked by/ on top of that spot without knowing:ohmy:.

bonj2

I've read this, certainly is a bit morbid. Apparently there might be 15 others still yet to find.
Sounds silly but maybe it should go down on the list of possible things to check when buying a house, estate agents could include it in surveys/searches? That radar scanner thing they just pushed around the garden like a lawnmower seemed pretty easy and avoided having to dig up absolutely everywhere.

gambatte said:

QUOTE]

I would lower your expectations regarding that. The son-in-law of someone my parents know was murdered in his house, when my parents friends went up there to sort out their hysterical daughter and her three year old child, the first thing they had to do, in the middle of the night, was find a way to secure the house. The police had battered the door down and just left it there hanging off the hinges.

That was about as much help as they got from any of the authorities - the daughter and her kid moved down near us after this (they had been up north). They afterwards had to go to a county council appeals board to get the kid into a local school, after they deemed it acceptable for a toddler whos father had just been shot dead in her home, to be transported 25 miles by taxi each day to some distant school that had a place, the reasoning being that the local school is 'over-subscribed' and so you have to register your kid there at birth, or something.

If it doesn't say 'Make sure we refill the graves after removing bodies in home-owner's property' on their 'to-do' form, they won't do it.:smile::blush:

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
I've read this, certainly is a bit morbid. Apparently there might be 15 others still yet to find.
Sounds silly but maybe it should go down on the list of possible things to check when buying a house, estate agents could include it in surveys/searches? That radar scanner thing they just pushed around the garden like a lawnmower seemed pretty easy and avoided having to dig up absolutely everywhere.

It's a bit more complicated than just pushing it round the garden. It doesn't give you an x-ray clarity picture of what's under the ground. As with any geophysics, you need to know what to look for in the results, and any anomalies might just as easily turn out to be buried pets, old pipes, or cables, filled in ponds, etc especially in a garden situation. You'd end up digging up most gardens to check I suspect.

I can see why people wouldn't want to go back to a house in that situation, and it sounds like it's been pretty much ripped apart inside anyway, but I bet many many people are living in houses where people died, without a clue, and perfectly happy.

Top Bottom