Bit of advice wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dmh140

Hi all i am new to cycling , well not completely ,i havent had a bike since about the age of 14 and im now 30 , just wanted to know if anyone could give there opinion on how much cycling i should be doing a week and how far,long ect to see the benifits of it ,thanks in advance for any replys

Cheers

Licramite

Über Member
I,m assuming you have a road bike
well depending on how fit you are already , and the terrain around were you live.
start with an hours cycling , then just build it up 1 30, 2hrs 3hrs. don,t worry about distance just build up your time on the bike.
Initially leave a day between each ride.
you will probably find you get Bum Kill - padded pants - no shame in those, actually lycra kit is very good I,m new to it but it is good.

enjoy it , theres no medals for the fastest ,

Robson3022

I would say at first for a couple of weeks get out every couple of days for a time you feel comfortable. Its no good getting out there and trying to ride for a set period of time if your knackered. It all depends on your fitness levels. Go out do half an hour if your not too tired go an extra half hour build it up like that.

OP
OP
D

Dmh140

I have a hybrid , didnt want to jump straight into the whole road cycling yet , might get one on next years cycle to work

vickster

Legendary Member
What sort of hybrid do you have - some are like road bikes with flat bars, some like hardtail MTBs with bigger wheels

Do whatever feels right for you - there are no rules :smile: If you've not ridden for 15 years, and you do a little every day or so, you should start to feel the benefits, especially in the colder weather (but don't cycle if you get a cold, cough)

Licramite

Über Member
we are probably all a bit right and all a bit wrong - for you
what I like about a bike is exploring, get your local os map out and start looking at the bridle paths, tracks and minor roads, plot routes to villages and that, take it easy and make it fun.
rotten time of year though unless you enjoy cycling in the dark ad the rain, get out early on a sunday morning, have the roads to yourself.

I,m assuming you have a road bike
well depending on how fit you are already , and the terrain around were you live.
start with an hours cycling , then just build it up 1 30, 2hrs 3hrs. don,t worry about distance just build up your time on the bike.
Initially leave a day between each ride.
you will probably find you get Bum Kill - padded pants - no shame in those, actually lycra kit is very good I,m new to it but it is good.

enjoy it , theres no medals for the fastest ,

Not right now maybe, but a few brit cyclists got some from going fast rather recently.

Top Bottom