Bit of advice...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

So, this morning, I was very conscious about trying to position myself more assertively by coming out of the cycle lane and into the middle/right of my lane fairly early. I have to say, it's near enough impossible!

Short of getting off my bike and shoving my front wheel in front of the vehicle behind, you just cannot merge into the traffic. Getting over the roundabout was fine, but I was positioned more to the left of my lane than I would have liked.

It's the same the other side coming off the roundabout, if you find yourself on the left of the lane it's very difficult to get to the right because of the sheer weight of traffic. As I need to take the first right down Horseferry Rd, I always come off the roundabout to the very right of the lane so I'm going down the middle of Horseferry Rd to take my right. This morning, I found myself on the very left and had to go very slowly up the road until a pedestrian created a gap in the traffic at the Zebra crossing behind so I could move over safely.

The sooner TFL sorts this whole section out, the better. It's either that or cross the river at Westminster Bridge, I had to do this during the Olympics and most of it is ok but it's a much longer way round and takes me up Northumberland Ave and Trafalgar Sq. :angry:

Scruffmonster

Über Member
Andy, it sounds good in theory but I'm not about to get in the middle of very slow moving traffic out of the cycle lane. Do I do that behind the first vehicle indicating left on the bridge? Half of them start indicating left at the start of the bridge, there may as well be no cycle lane in that case.

To be totally safe, I'd be walking to work...

Don't be overly defensive. This one was an error on your part, but one that you salvaged admirably, and that's cool. We all make them some days and love to preach and pretend that we don't.

I'm with you, to a degree on the undertake, I'd have done it, though I would have gone faster and 'made it stick' by looking at the coach driver and pulled in behind the lorry towing the trailer. The coach driver wouldn't have given a damn.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Don't be overly defensive. This one was an error on your part, but one that you salvaged admirably, and that's cool. We all make them some days and love to preach and pretend that we don't.

I'm with you, to a degree on the undertake, I'd have done it, though I would have gone faster and 'made it stick' by looking at the coach driver and pulled in behind the lorry towing the trailer. The coach driver wouldn't have given a damn.

Hi Scruff

Sorry, didn't mean it to come across like that.

I'm pretty sure I did make eye contact with the driver at several points. As I say, I think he was aware of me till he got distracted by the taxi and I'm guessing it might be one of those situations where no amount of positioning, eye contact, signalling (or not) would make much difference... I just have to put it down to experience.

I have to say, I was very apprehensive approaching the same bit yesterday so I'm going to have to get myself out of that mindset and just carry on and do my best.

As I say, he was aware of me until he got distracted by the taxi, hence his braking so hard.

Anyway... Learnt my lesson so hopefully I can avoid that kind of thing again.

Don't want to open the whole debate up again, but have a look at this:

View: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B4RRCARm07w

A few of the clips demonstrate why you should not undertake. I'm actually surprised that Gaz has not posted on this thread.

Top Bottom