bits n pieces

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RAYMOND

I have just been fitting my lights on the bike as i will be cycling more
early doors and late evenings for a while.
Does anyone remove there standard light reflectors that come with bikes?
I have just removed mine as the front one looks naff ? on a road bike .
Also removed the standard bell on the front,surely road bikes don't need one as
drivers can't hear them and i don't cycle in the housing estate.
Also helps a tad with less weight .
On another point anyone thinking of buying lights that use the rubber bands(i have just got front and back lezyne lights),the front one is fine to fit on the handlebars but the back one isn't very good due to the stem on saddles slant.

OP
OP
RAYMOND

RAYMOND

p.s
re night riding.... does garmin computer still work in the dark ...i'm guessing yes?

HovR

Über Member
I'm guilty of having two bikes with no standard reflectors! Not because I removed them, but because I bought them without (not new). The lights I have on my bikes outshine any reflection device by far anyway.

Technically there is only a requirement for you to have pedal reflectors (if your bike was manufactured after 1985ish) and a red rear reflector, I believe. I've been known to use spoke reflectors during the winter months.

There is no legal requirement for you to have a bell on your bike, only a legal requirement for shops to sell the bike with a bell fitted. If you're riding a lot on shared use paths with pedestrians one may be useful.

Yes, your Garmin will work 24/7
No, take the reflectors off. They re actually a legal requirement but lights with built-in reflectors will suffice.
I prefer to have a little "ding" bell for peds on my commute as they seem to focus either on the tarmac 4 feet ahead of them and/or their mobile phone.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Yes i have wheel reflectors on my road bike, they came with it so i kept them on. As a motorist i see those turning reflectors(though not many seem to have them)before anything else as i'm approaching a bike from a side angle. I don't have front, rear or peddle ones as a have lights and enough high viz stuff on.

Big boy

i say its up to you, but the more chance of being seen in the dark the less chance of being hit by a car...

SomethingLikeThat

Über Member
I'd rather have wheel lights if you were really worried about being seen than reflectors. Reflectors are only good if you've got lights as well.

D

Deleted member 1258

I have spoke reflectors on my fixed, there were no reflectors on it when I brought it
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_784271_langId_-1_categoryId_165636

How much they help I don't know, I also have pedal reflectors on the bike. A couple of weeks ago I was driving my son home after his weekly visit when I spotted a ninja cyclist, what I picked out at first was his pedal reflectors, then I could see his movement as he pedaled, so I recon they help, provided the driver is paying attention. Contrast the ninja with the cyclist we saw a few nights earlier, looked like he/she was coming home from a late shift, the back light was visible from about a mile away.

Top Bottom