Bitsa from next door

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I've replied. BTW, that number on the BB is a nervex ID code, Part of it represents the angles of the frame. And judging by the possible age of your frame the frame number will be on the LH rear dropout...
Cheers, mate, I've replied to the PM in turn.

What a beautiful bike that Mileater is.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

It's been a while, with one thing and another, but when I have had a chance to look at the old girl, I've had murder getting the headset nut off. Firstly I didn't have a big enough spanner, and when that did arrive the nut was extremely stiff. I squirted some GT85 all over it and left for a week. Then I clamped the fork into my Workmate, and off it came, quite easily in the end.

However, in doing so, despite my best efforts, a couple of the ballbearings liberated themselves, and they're probably off to have a happy new life in a crack on my drive somewhere.

Where the "go to" place to get decent quality teeny-tiny headset bearings (or "ballbarians", as my older brother used to call them)?

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

Oh, one other daft question, pardon me for being thick (I'm new to this)... The brown leatherette bar tape finally arrived, and looks nice, but the end plugs are silver plastic, and I don't think they go well with it (they'd be useful for Old Reliable, my Apollo TDF, so waste not want not etc).

I had ivory-coloured plastic in my mind's eye for it, with a flat profile - anyone know who might do those?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Oh, one other daft question, pardon me for being thick (I'm new to this)... The brown leatherette bar tape finally arrived, and looks nice, but the end plugs are silver plastic, and I don't think they go well with it (they'd be useful for Old Reliable, my Apollo TDF, so waste not want not etc).

I had ivory-coloured plastic in my mind's eye for it, with a flat profile - anyone know who might do those?
Any bike shop should carry end plugs.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

Any bike shop should carry end plugs.
I know, just haven't seen any flat-profiled ivory coloured ones.

My mind's eye is picky on detail.

ETA: just saw these

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-St...e&pageci=3e0d9985-2957-41d8-813c-3f124d537410

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

The tiniest bit of decal left under the paint:

IMG_20201030_162853417.jpg

It's a cursive font. I'm going Hosteller.

I think I'm wrong about the paint too, looks to be silver blue overall with red/gold inserts.

Note badge.

IMG_20201030_163208208.jpg

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

The guy from next door popped round on Sunday evening; "do you want some bike wheels and tyres"?

Of course I did.

So, he brought round three front wheels and one rear, the rear with a 5-speed cassette attached. On examining the hubs on the rear, and one of the fronts, I spotted the words "Sachs-Maillard". I think he may have given the originals.

They're all running with various degrees of roughness, so they all want disassembling and cleaning. Not sure whether to use these of the ones which were on it (Maillard hubs, no Sachs involvement).

Top Bottom