Bitsa from next door

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Can you take another photo with a torch shining cross-ways across the letters? You get the indentations in shadow and it makes the letters clearer. A tip from my archaeology days when trying to read weather-worn inscriptions on stone :becool:

Not much use, sadly.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Not much use, sadly.

Ah well. To me, it looks like a set of digits, possibly starting 8115 ... However, that would be about 12 digits long, which is way too much for a frame number IWHT. Unlikely to be someone's postcode, either.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

Ah well. To me, it looks like a set of digits, possibly starting 8115 ... However, that would be about 12 digits long, which is way too much for a frame number IWHT. Unlikely to be someone's postcode, either.
I think it is too, but can't make it out.

I do have the frame number though ^_^

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

There was often a long number under a nervex BB. I assumed it was a manufacturing batch number ?
I thought Nervex did the lugs, not the BB?

BB by Brampton or TDC according to the 1962 catalogue (though I don't see anything stamped on the BB itself).

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

Never seen a nervex shell that didn't have the long number on it

That's what the stamp is, I just can't make out the digits.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

This just came:

Not sure it smells quite right though:

I've waiting on a down-tube single friction shifter by Huret I've ordered. But now I'm wondering whether to hunt for a double instead.

Had a look at the rims: can't see a maker. They have a kind of pewter finish which the old boy painted silver. They wouldn't look much cop, to be honest, but I do want to keep the hubs. I'm torn.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
That's what the stamp is, I just can't make out the digits.
Try taking a couple of pictures, various viewpoints, then reverse to a negative.
Can often show the number/marking in better detail, than a positive.

Most phones allow this to be done on the handset.

Two seperate punch sizes can be seen. First two digits of the smaller punch start 54.

IMG_20201007_233820.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

Huret shifter here; still not sure whether to use that, or go 10-speed as I have the front mech as well as the rear. It may depend on what crankset I can pick up reasonably.

Bought a tool off eBay to take the cassette off... This one's too bloody big as well :laugh:

Top Bottom