Bitsa from next door

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
The campag hubs are probably later as the levers look curved and the other end of the skewers are rounded. The levers are held with nuts so nuovo record. Legal introductions in the 70's to make them less stabby

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
You're right, of course... I'm just trying to get some provenance.

Would it originally have had Campag hubs, do you know?

Highly unlikely

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Another lovely little period feature: the bell. Also by Lucas, bears the legend "King of the road", and works beautifully.

I'm going to see what the fella wants for this heap of bits, and try to give it a new lease of life. Does anyone know where I might get my hands on some period frame decals?

Also, looking at the chainwheel, I'm guessing this would have originally had a single chainwheel as I don't see anywhere on the frame to route a second gear cable? I'd like to take the current chainwheel and cranks off to replace with something looking a bit more "period".

(Pardon my ignorance on all this stuff, I'm learning as I go along :laugh:)

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It has some very heavy duty pannier racks by Pletscher of Switzerland.

View attachment 546735

Any info as to what I have here would be appreciated. It's a nice old thing and I've half a mind to clean it up and use it, but it's too small for me really and it might be better broken up for bits, as it's a bitsa in any case.

I've got a couple of those Pletscher racks, and mine came off donor bikes from the late 80's/early 90's, so yours may be newer than you think.

The frame looks to be about 23", so a good size and pretty adaptable for most sized adults. Unless the rider is giant I would have thought a longer seatpost and possibly stem would make it fit someone over 6ft.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

I've got a couple of those Pletscher racks, and mine came off donor bikes from the late 80's/early 90's, so yours may be newer than you think.

The frame looks to be about 23", so a good size and pretty adaptable for most sized adults. Unless the rider is giant I would have thought a longer seatpost and possibly stem would make it fit someone over 6ft.
I think the Pletscher racks are from the 1980s. I think that's when the old boy cobbled it together.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

Well, life's got in the way and I've done sod all... But a disaster in the garage this evening means I need to clear it out, so I'll get an excuse to take the old girl to bits and give her a clean up.

One little update: it has a six figure frame number (101536) stamped under the bottom bracket. According to the Viking Register, this dates it some time around 1961.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

After a bit of a disaster in the garage the other day (a shelf with lots of pots of paint collapsed and turned one end into a Jackson Pollock pastiche), I had the pressure washer out, and thought I've give the old girl a blast with it to clean her up a bit.

All it did really was rearrange the crud.

However, there was one side effect: I now know the original colour scheme.

Top Bottom