Bitten off a little more than I can currently chew

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
So I've agreed to cycle 100 miles with my son (14) tomorrow from Marlborough to London. He's dying to do his first century. It will be my second, about 12 years after the first. I'm nowhere near as fit as I'd like to be and I've not done a load of exercise in the pas 10 days due to a (now healed) foot injury. We are committed to this because we have a non-refundable Premier Inn booked and my son is so excited.

I know I can do 60 quite comfortably. I reckon I could do 70 without too much distress. But those final 30?

I don't need any grown-up advice about how this isn't a great idea. Instead, I need all your best advice about how to get through this without falling apart. Thanks in advance.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just take your time. Don't push yourself. Eat and drink at regular intervals. Just take it easy and enjoy the ride.

I always put my Garmin in battery saver mode as it turns the screen off and stops me obsessing about distance covered/remaining :smile:

Don't do a 100-mile ride, do a 40-mile ride followed by two 30-mile rides (mentally, at least). You can do those distances without breaking sweat.

Enjoy the time with your son - it's wonderful that you can do this together.

I always put my Garmin in battery saver mode as it turns the screen off and stops me obsessing about distance covered/remaining :smile:

Don't do a 100-mile ride, do a 40-mile ride followed by two 30-mile rides (mentally, at least). You can do those distances without breaking sweat.

Enjoy the time with your son - it's wonderful that you can do this together.

That's pretty much exactly what I was about to say. You've said you can do 60 miles, so 30 before breakfast, then another short 30 before dinner will be a nice stretch for the 40 taking you to tea time.

Relax, and enjoy your time with the youngster. ^_^

Top Bottom