Bkool ftp test - transferable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If I do the standard Bkool 20 minute ftp test, would the result be reasonable enough to use with another program? In this case I'm thinking of VeloReality which doesn't have (as far as I can see) its own ftp test.
I ask the question as from what I've read the Bkool Pro doesn't have an actual power meter but just uses an algorithm based on speed/weight.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
If I do the standard Bkool 20 minute ftp test, would the result be reasonable enough to use with another program? In this case I'm thinking of VeloReality which doesn't have (as far as I can see) its own ftp test.
I ask the question as from what I've read the Bkool Pro doesn't have an actual power meter but just uses an algorithm based on speed/weight.
My experience with the bkool power reading is that it is optimistic. I would take my bkool ftp and drop 20-30 watts to use it else where. My current ftp is given as 220 odd watts but to match that on bkool my vectors read 200 or so.

Use it as a guide and adjust as required.

OP
OP
MasterDabber

MasterDabber

Über Member
Good advice... appreciated. I was thinking that might be the case from a few things I've read on here. VeloReality has a workout builder as part of their software and I guess I could make a test on that but I don't think it would give me a "ready made" result.
Alternatively I could do a trial on TrainerRoad and see what that gave me.

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
The Bkool 20 minute test has always produced a higher wattage than my Powertap.
The increase isn't consistent and ranges between 3% and 12%, with an average of c. 9%.
This seems to match @theboxers findings, so if you use 91% of the Bkool figure you won't be far off.
Of course, that's the 20 minute CP, and (per Coggan) you need to multiply the result by 0.95 to get your one hour FTP.

OP
OP
MasterDabber

MasterDabber

Über Member
Great, thanks for the confirmation. I was aware of the 0.95 for the hour number from which I presume the W/kg number would be derived....
so if I take..... (Bkool 20 minute watts x 0.91) x 0.95 = www/my kg weight

CXRAndy

Guru
Great, thanks for the confirmation. I was aware of the 0.95 for the hour number from which I presume the W/kg number would be derived....
so if I take..... (Bkool 20 minute watts x 0.91) x 0.95 = www/my kg weight

Bear in mind your W/Kg will vary a little from course to course depending on which course your better at hills or flats etc. Just like power output

borchgrevink

For me it's quite the opposite. I have much lower ftp on the standard Bkool ftp than on a calibrated expensive roller. But when I do a Bkool route with high incline my watt output rises by quite a lot.

CXRAndy

Guru
Dont get too hung up on Bkool FTP, test yourself every couple of months or else it can be a little demoralising if the number don't jump up.

I have not really improved much with regards to ftp, but my endurance and ability to put in high bursts and still maintain a decent pace afterwards has improved immensely

OP
OP
MasterDabber

MasterDabber

Über Member
I take your point Andy. I confess to being a bit target driven (must be the result of my pre-retirement corporate life:rolleyes:) so I know I will weaken and have to do a test every so often. I do appreciate that the Bkool will only give me a pseudo ftp but it will give me something to work with.

I ride a lot in France and in the area I'm in every ride takes in a mixture of Cat 3 and 4 climbs. I'm fine on all of these but would like to get up them a bit speedier. I can keep going ok but would like to keep with my French riding buddies a bit better. One of the attraction of getting smart turbo is to "ride" some of the famous climbs like Tourmalet, Ventoux etc.

I don't know if I'll end up doing it but I have a kind of wish to ride the Tourmalet next year on my 70th. Don't know if I'll do it or not but it would be good to do.

Flint

I take your point Andy. I confess to being a bit target driven (must be the result of my pre-retirement corporate life:rolleyes:) so I know I will weaken and have to do a test every so often.

Highly un-scientific opinion: I'would just ignore it completely. I tried to measure my FTP few times but I could never get anywhere close to when I was outside and chasing stronger rider. ;)

OP
OP
MasterDabber

MasterDabber

Über Member
Highly un-scientific opinion: I'would just ignore it completely. I tried to measure my FTP few times but I could never get anywhere close to when I was outside and chasing stronger rider. ;)

I don't have a power meter on any of my bikes so I wouldn't be able to work with power once I'm on the road.

The way I look at is that if I do a test using consistent bike/tyres/temperature/smart trainer/ measuring software (be that Bkool, TrainerRoad etc) I should be able to see if I improve/worsen but at least have a target to try and better.
Time will tell but that's my current thinking.... but it may not work out that way :scratch:

Top Bottom