Bkool issues - new user

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jd843

Hi

I wanted to try out Bkool for the first time this evening - but I couldn't even get started.

Just for background, I don't have a smart trainer, just a normal one with speed and cadence sensors.

The problem is, Bkool will pick up and connect to my speed, cadence and heart rate sensors, but for some reason it won't read the speed sensor properly. On the pairing page, I can see it accurately reading myheart rate and cadence values, but the speed value jumps up and down/oscillates between 0 and ~10km/h. The speed sensor is definitely not faulty, as it works perfectly with my Garmin Edge unit, just not with Bkool. As a result, when I go to start a route, it won't actually start as it will only read my cadence but not my speed.

Any ideas what the issue could be? I've even tried with two different laptops, and two different ANT+ dongles - exact same issue! Very annoying.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Are you using an 'extension' lead for the ANT+ USB doodah - that's recommended - i.e. from the PC to place the 'doodah' closer to the sensors ?

You might need a 2m USB extension - I use one with Zwift.

OP
OP
J

jd843

Are you using an 'extension' lead for the ANT+ USB doodah - that's recommended - i.e. from the PC to place the 'doodah' closer to the sensors ?

You might need a 2m USB extension - I use one with Zwift.

Don't have one I'm afraid. It didn't make any difference to the performance no matter how close I put the laptop to the speed sensor, so not sure that's the issue. If it was an ANT+ dongle issue, wouldn't that affect ALL of the sensors, not just speed?

Also, I've used this setup with Zwift before and that worked fine - should have mentioned that!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm currently getting cadence issues with Zwift - jumps loads more recently - possible software issues ? (changed batteries).

The only other is electrical interference ?

OP
OP
J

jd843

I'm currently getting cadence issues with Zwift - jumps loads more recently - possible software issues ? (changed batteries).

The only other is electrical interference ?

Yeah I guess it could be interference... But why would that only affect only the speed sensor > dongle connection but not any of the other connections to the dongle, or any of the connections at all from sensors > Garmin?

Jellyman

Yeah I guess it could be interference... But why would that only affect only the speed sensor > dongle connection but not any of the other connections to the dongle, or any of the connections at all from sensors > Garmin?
Exactly the same problem here with wahoo sensors, did you get any further ?

t0rie

I joined JUST to add that I have the exact same issue! I even bought a new Garmin Speed Sensor (2) to replace my rather old Garmin sensor. Works fine with my antique Edge, showing speed of about 25 when Bkool is showing about 10 and dropping in and out. I have an extension and have tried with and without. The cadence and heart rate sensor work fine.

I did read somewhere that Bkool uses just the cadence, but surely that's not right, is it? And yes, I have a 'dumb' trainer using sensors 'cause I'm a cheapskate.

Thanks!

Top Bottom