Bkool newbie questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GetFatty

Über Member
Just a couple of trivial question. I’m getting used to it now and have decided I much prefer it to zwift but:

1. What is the significance of the colours of the dots I’m chasing? I’ve seen red and yellow so far
  2. What are the levels? I’m new so I‘m level 1 but how many are there and how do I move up?

I did have a brief look at the FAQ but it’s immense. Thanks

Bobario

Veteran
Hi,
as well as the levels there are 4 categories, Amateur, Active, Professional and Elite. Since you are new I would assume you have been ranked as Amateur level 1. Which is where everybody starts out. If you click on your name at the top right of the Bkool logon screen (on the web not the simulator) then select My Profile then Fitness Level there is a box at the bottom of that window which says "How to improve my fitness level" or words to that effect. You can either do a 20 minute FTP test, or if you do any ride of over 30 minutes and your average power is over your current FTP it will automatically reset your FTP to the new higher level.

As for the dots I'm not sure. I only ever did solo rides and workouts. If you are in a group session it's probably the other riders, but I have no idea of the significance of the colours.

OP
OP
G

GetFatty

Über Member
Thanks for that. I haven’t done the FTP yet, I was just cycling. I’m quite happy remaining amateur but maybe up a couple of levels

These are solo rides where other people join the session and they seem to be either red or yellow dots

Bobario

Veteran
I never bothered with the FTP tests either, like you I was just doing solo rides, usually up a big hill. So I didn't see any dots at all, red or yellow. There is a long running Bkool thread on this site, I'm sure if you asked in there you would get your answer.

BKIain

Hi, The dots are other riders, yellow for amateur, red for active and blue or green for elite and professional or the other way round. You'll also see the helmets of riders are those colours as well.

OP
OP
G

GetFatty

Über Member
Hi, The dots are other riders, yellow for amateur, red for active and blue or green for elite and professional or the other way round. You'll also see the helmets of riders are those colours as well.
Thanks for that. To date I’ve passed a couple of yellows which given my fitness level is an achievement 😄👍

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
This is in the Bkool FAQ, it may be out of date now. Expand the quote below. and click the attachments to get W/Kg ratings.

Bkool FAQ last major update 05/01/2016 10:30

Snip ...

Bkool Fitness Level

The bkool fitness levels are an arbitrary division of FTP as 95% of 20 minute average power per Kg, broken down into four categories and 10 sub categories:
Amateur 1-10, Active 1-10, Pro 1-10 and Elite 1-10.

Mens
View attachment 111438

Womens
View attachment 111447

The official FTP test is scheduled from the Fitness Level of your Bkool Profile (this only works if you are a premium member) and your fitness level will be determined using 95% of the average power from this 20 minute session, not including the additional warm up time. Note: the test may look like it is longer, but it stops automatically at 20 minutes.

If you do not do regular FTP tests your fitness level will be determined using 95% of the average power from any session over 30 minutes. Perhaps strangely, the 95% factor is still applied, even if the session is an hour or more. If the session includes any steep inclines, or any declines, it is less likely that this will give a good measure of your actual FTP, for a more accurate reading the official FTP test uses a constant 2% incline.

If you save a proper Bkool FTP test which gives a lower fitness level then your fitness level will be reduced immediately, but this only happens for normal 30 min+ sessions if you have not saved an FTP for two months.

FTP = Functional Threshold Power

By definition this is the maximum average power you can sustain for an hour, and is considered to be a good match for the power output at which you are on the threshold of producing more lactate than your body can deal with, your Lactate Threshold.

The FTP test on bkool actually measures the average power over 20 minutes, as an hour is a bit of a slog. You are supposed to apply a correction by taking 95% of the 20 minute figure to approximate the hour average, and hence 95% of your average power on the 20 minute FTP test gives an approximation for your FTP, which should be close to your Lactate Threshold.
Note: your FTP is not the result of the 20 minute FTP test, it is close to 95% of the result.

Your FTP is often quoted in Watts per Kg, which is considered a more useful measure of ability, especially when climbing, so divide the 95% figure by your weight in Kg.

For more accurate estimates of FTP, you can average your power over the full hour, and in either case you should precede the test with around 10 minutes of above FTP effort to exhaust any anaerobic capacity, i.e. your bodies ability to exceed your LT for short periods of time.

End of FAQ

Top Bottom