Bkool simulator, a Tacx Vortex Smart and an Edge 1000. Some questions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J33M

Regular
Hi all,

The search for a Bkool forum actually brought me here. So, greetings to everybody!

I have a Tacx Vortex Smart, which I am using in combination with the Bkool Simulator app for Android (running on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2) and a Garmin Edge 1000.
Now, after some trying around, I connect all in the following way. In the Bkool app, I make a manual pairing with the Vortex (Ant+ connection, not Bluetooth), with a Garmin cadence sensor and a Garmin HR belt (both Ant+ as well). There is actually a Garmin Speed sensor on the bike, that I am not using, and I don't have a PowerMeter.
I am using the Garmin cadence sensor, since the cadence given out by the Vortex was far off from real values, often only half of it. The speed and the power are taken from the Vortex.
On the Edge 1000, I made a specific Indoor profile where I disabled the Garmin speed sensor, and paired it with the Garmin cadence sensor, and the Vortex (again for speed and power readings).

This is mainly for information to show how I've setup things so far, but if someone has a better idea, or wants to add some comments to this setup, please do so! I am new to a trainer, so every explanation why something is not good or why it should be done differently is greatly welcome!

Ok, now some questions!

First, can it be that the power estimate of the vortex as I see it in the Bkool app (or the Edge) is somewhat underrated? Since I don't have a powermeter, I can't compare it, but through real life driving experience, I feel that the values are too low.
Furthermore, when I'm going up a slope of ~2%, it feels more like a slope of 5-6% in real life. So every slope that is a bit longer is killing me, since I try to go it up in a speed that I'm used to outside...:-)
Is this known, or am I making this up?

Then, I wonder if I can get elevation data from the Vortex to the Edge. I would like to record my trainer sessions and sync them with my Garmin connect account. Now the Bkool app shows the min and max slope percentage and the total ascent/descent value. Any way to get at least these values to Garmin connect? Either directly from the Vortex, or maybe from the Bkool app?

Hopefully someone has already done this and can help me out here, since all my research so far was unsuccessfull...

Thanks for any answers,

J33M

kipster

Guru
@J33M

I'm not sure I can help much as I use a Bkool turbo. The app calculates an estimate of power based on the information it received fro the turbo, Ie at your weight to do the speed you're doing up that hill would take xxx power. It's worth checking that you have set your weight correctly in your Bkool profile. I believe the vortex can simulate upto a 7% gradient, the Bkool up to 20% (allegedly) but this is based on weight again. When I was 80kg there was no discernible difference after 10%, some of the heavier riders report no difference after 7%. After a summer of road rides I'm down to 75kg so I should be able to max out the gradient at 12%, in theory 10% should be easier this Autumn than it was in the spring.

Re linking to garmin, I'm pretty certain you can link the Bkool app with garmin and Strava, check under profile. This will then automatically transfer the data. Be aware that it does if both ways, so a real life ride will transfer to Bkool and you can then re ride it on the turbo without having to stop at junctions :smile:

You should be able to ditch the Garmin 1000 for turbo rides, and just concentrate on the on screen Bkool data, and the other riders. Also check out the big Bkool thread on this site, there are a number of leagues and online races set up. We even set up some team time trial events with voice chat earlier in the year.

OP
OP
J

J33M

Regular
@kipster

I checked my weight entered in Bkool and it is correct. I read a bit more around, and I stumbled a few times over people saying, that riding on an indoor trainer was more intensive then on the road. While this might not be true for all trainer and/or software combinations, I have the feeling that it is at least true for my combination. So, still, if someone has the same combination (Vortex Smart with Bkool simulator app) and can confirm this, I would appreciate it!

Ohh, yes after reading your reply, and going in the settings menu on the Bkool website to check the weight, I saw it, I mean, that there is actually the possibility to link Bkool to Garmin (and Strava btw.). So I will have to try this out, since that could really mean, that I wouldn't need the Edge 1000 at all for indoor riding!
And since it is only important to me, to compare the indoor results among themselves, not to any outdoor activities, this could be all I need.
If it's done both ways, that shouldn't be an issue...but I have to try it out...although the next days will be very busy one's...so I will report back when I actually had the time to play a little bit around with it.

Oh, and by the way, does anyone know how to delete an activity from Bkool? I couldn't find anything, is it even possible? I have 2 or 3 activities that are listed up, and they were only tryouts for the trainer and some settings were wrong, so they are way off...that's why I would like to get rid of them...

Thanks kipster, for your help!

J33M

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Unfortunately once it's in Bkool it stays in Bkool :cursing:. The only way that I know not having a test session or whatever not save is to not save it. Once saved you're done. The same applies for scheduling rides, once you schedule one you can't get rid of it until it times out.

OP
OP
J

J33M

Regular
Unfortunately once it's in Bkool it stays in Bkool :cursing:. The only way that I know not having a test session or whatever not save is to not save it. Once saved you're done. The same applies for scheduling rides, once you schedule one you can't get rid of it until it times out.
That's too bad :thumbsdown:. I wonder what reason(s) they have not to add a little delete button. I have difficulties imagining, that it is too complicated.
Anyway, one would think, this would be a basic feature. Well, hope dies last...
At least the scheduled rides do disappear when timed out!

Thanks for telling me, so at least I don't waste anymore time looking for a way to do so!

J33M

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
That's too bad :thumbsdown:. I wonder what reason(s) they have not to add a little delete button. I have difficulties imagining, that it is too complicated.
Anyway, one would think, this would be a basic feature. Well, hope dies last...
At least the scheduled rides do disappear when timed out!

Thanks for telling me, so at least I don't waste anymore time looking for a way to do so!

J33M
Check out the FAQ as well, lots of stuff in there and getting added to, continually

OP
OP
J

J33M

Regular
Check out the FAQ as well, lots of stuff in there and getting added to, continually

I actually did that once some time ago, I read the FAQ's and the manuals for both the simulator and the website.
Most of the stuff in there was pretty clear.
But now after rereading them, I figured out, that in the FAQ for the website, they actually do state, that one can't delete scheduled or completed sessions...
So, yes, reading is good :okay: !

Thanks,

J33M

Top Bottom