BKool - What else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hubba

Hi folks, I'm new in here, loving it and read loads of great threads already.

So, I'll get to the point. I'm mainly a fair weather cyclist, so I find I'm not getting the miles nearly as often as I'd like. I've decided to invest in the BKool Pro Smart Trainer. I'd like to know what other equipment I should be looking at, to get the best out of my TT. Or will it arrive with all I require? As far as viewing my rides, I currently have an old laptop and a Samsung Galaxy Tablet. I do have a smart tv in the living room but I doubt Mrs D would appreciate me puffing away in front of that ;)

So any advice and/or suggestions regarding best set up would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
H Hubba and welcome! :smile:

If you read the threads you'll see there's a few conflicting opinions regarding bkool to say the least... One thing most of us agree on is the software is hit and miss, and the customer service is very poor at best.

One thing we do have here is a great community. There's some great races with people of all ability in which are lots of fun and massively improve your fitensss. If you want to join the leagues and get involved then bkool is great. It goes without saying that new riders are always welcome (it gets very addictive very fast!). There's people here who don't use bkool anymore but still hang around for the banter.

But if you're more interested in more precise power figures etc, or you're considering using zwift, you may prefer to get a turbo trainer with an intergrated power meter as they're more accurate as well as being more compatible with other software platforms.

The pros and cons of both are well covered to be honest so it's a case of what you think you're looking for I suppose :smile:

With regards set up the bkool pro is good to go out of the box. I'd recommend getting a decent fan as even in the middle of winter you're going to sweat like a pig! A heart rate monitor is also useful to gage your effort and your improving fitness etc. You will also need to make the odd excuse once in a while when your not happy with your performance @bobinski should have a book published any day now which will cover most bases :okay:

Last edited:

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
Hi folks, I'm new in here, loving it and read loads of great threads already.

So, I'll get to the point. I'm mainly a fair weather cyclist, so I find I'm not getting the miles nearly as often as I'd like. I've decided to invest in the BKool Pro Smart Trainer. I'd like to know what other equipment I should be looking at, to get the best out of my TT. Or will it arrive with all I require? As far as viewing my rides, I currently have an old laptop and a Samsung Galaxy Tablet. I do have a smart tv in the living room but I doubt Mrs D would appreciate me puffing away in front of that ;)

So any advice and/or suggestions regarding best set up would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

:welcome: Hubba

Cadence can be a bit of guess work for the smart trainer, so a HRM is a good thing to have. Your viewing options are huge - I have a large TV screen connected to a laptop. Other than that, play around with tyres and pressures to increase watts.

Set it up in the coldest room you can. Buy a large fan (or two) - one is usually enough up here. As Tommy suggested, join the leagues - Chaingang runs through the year with more being available as the cycling season ends and the weather deteriorates.

Finally - practice sharing your ailments and work on your excuses..

Have fun..

:thumbsup:

<Tommy>

Jim are coming to the Isle of Wight? Bit off topic but it just occurred to me I hadn't see your name in the other thread.

With my Bkool Pro ... As above plus....
A usb extender cable so that the Ant+ dongle can be placed next to the Bkool Pro. I use a separate cadence sensor plus a heart rate monitor.
I never continued with Bkool Simulator after free trial period. I use BigRingVR, especially good if you want good quality video, good gradient transitions and on screen data. A lot (majority) of the rides are on big climbs but not exclusively.

Edited to add, I run mine withe decent spec laptop + a separate monitor.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
In the voice of Chief Brody 'you're gonna need a bigger fan' :laugh:

As others have said there are now lots of choices. Bkool, zwift, road grand tours, big ring vr and many others https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/11/trainer-apps-guide.html. It depends on what you want.

Racing zwift, bkool. Live video, bkool for choice, BRVR for quality, IME. Planned training, trainer road, bkool, zwift, I believe, has now got some coming through.

A USB extension cable, dual ant+/ble hr monitor, dual ant+/ble external cadence sensor are all good additional choices. Not just for bkool.

One other thing is remember to enjoy yourself.:laugh:

Last edited:

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
Jim are coming to the Isle of Wight? Bit off topic but it just occurred to me I hadn't see your name in the other thread.

Cheers Tommy - I would do if it were a little closer - I would probably spend more time getting there than actually cycling.. flying is an obvious option but a little cost prohibitive...

I'll be there with you in spirit. (Other drinks are available). I look forward to reading the stories though.. :thumbsup:

bobinski

Legendary Member
H Hubba and welcome! :smile:

If you read the threads you'll see there's a few conflicting opinions regarding bkool to say the least... One thing most of us agree on is the software is hit and miss, and the customer service is very poor at best.

One thing we do have here is a great community. There's some great races with people of all ability in which are lots of fun and massively improve your fitensss. If you want to join the leagues and get involved then bkool is great. It goes without saying that new riders are always welcome (it gets very addictive very fast!). There's people here who don't use bkool anymore but still hang around for the banter.

But if you're more interested in more precise power figures etc, or you're considering using zwift, you may prefer to get a turbo trainer with an intergrated power meter as they're more accurate as well as being more compatible with other software platforms.

The pros and cons of both are well covered to be honest so it's a case of what you think you're looking for I suppose :smile:

With regards set up the bkool pro is good to go out of the box. I'd recommend getting a decent fan as even in the middle of winter you're going to sweat like a pig! A heart rate monitor is also useful to gage your effort and your improving fitness etc. You will also need to make the odd excuse once in a while when your not happy with your performance @bobinski should have a book published any day now which will cover most bases :okay:

TT, that's defamatory! You will be hearing from my Lawyer... or not if he or she advises me my prospects of success are, err, remote

:whistle:

<Tommy>

Cheers Tommy - I would do if it were a little closer - I would probably spend more time getting there than actually cycling.. flying is an obvious option but a little cost prohibitive...

I'll be there with you in spirit. (Other drinks are available). I look forward to reading the stories though.. :thumbsup:

I know what you mean Jim. During the train journey to Wales I did question my own sanity more than once!

Maybe next year we can plan something that works better for you too.

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
I know what you mean Jim. During the train journey to Wales I did question my own sanity more than once!

Maybe next year we can plan something that works better for you too.

That's very decent of you TT.. if you could consider the following.

In west Scotland
No longer than 60 miles
No hills over 5%
Dry and sunny

I'll be there.. :hugs:

I do like reading your ride stories - it's almost as if I was there.. :thumbsup:

<Tommy>

Unfortunately your fourth request and first request aren't going to work in tandem Jim.

What about somewhere that's a b@stard for us all to get to instead? I hear Alaska's sunny for at least some of the year!

Last edited:

kipster

Guru
That's very decent of you TT.. if you could consider the following.

In west Scotland
No longer than 60 miles
No hills over 5%
Dry and sunny

I'll be there.. :hugs:

I do like reading your ride stories - it's almost as if I was there.. :thumbsup:
I'd only come if Bealach na ba features.....

Re turbos, I've probably been unlucky and had two bkools fail on me, I know others here have had theirs for a long time without issues. I'm currently using a kickr snap which has worked well.

Regarding software, BKOOL works well with a Bkool turbo, without one it is horrible.

Re equipment, I think all has been said, but about the fan get the biggest you can afford if you sweat a lot.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
i can vouch that West Scotland is neither flat nor dry and sunny - i was brutally eroded 2 weeks ago !
And Bealach na ba is a killer on a loaded bike

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Thanks for all the input folks. I'll spend a few bob in the coming weeks and hopefully get myself set up for some TT "fun". :smile:
Definitely join the Chain Gang league. 4/5 races each month, usually run live on Thursday (7pm UK time) and again Saturday (5pm UK time). If you can't make the live runs you can race them solo anyway and still count in the leagues. Riders of all abilities. I hope others don't mind me saying I used to be the back of the field, and pretty much always last, but with hard work and the competition from these leagues I'm much further up the leagues now.

Winter usually includes a 'goat' league too, for those of us that like mountain rides. We also have a member who sets up handicap races which are great fun.

In addition to what the others have said, my only other suggestion would be to get a friendly doctor who will sign off a TUE or two :whistle:

Top Bottom