bl**dy cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

2Loose said:
I came across this essay and thought I would share.

Despite the title, I think it fairly well considered...and I also know that it will be preaching to the choir.

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/wiki/Bloody_cyclists

Darn it, found it elsewhere on the forum. :smile:

Heh - oddly enough I woke up early this morning and stumbled across this article again from the Myths and Rebuttals thread. Great man, that Chapman.

dondare

Über Member
It took a few attempts to find the page; when I did I found much in the article that I would argue with.

PBancroft

2Loose said:
And guess where I found it! LoL.

Arf! Small world.

dondare

Über Member
Kaipaith said:
Well don't leave us hanging...

Essentially it's over-argued without the significant points being emphasized. It's blame-heavy towards pedestrians. It uses arguments which invite refutals.

Actually I just wrote a long criticism and lost it before posting and right now don't feel like typing it all again.

But I don't think that it was helpful to point out that most cyclists are also drivers and therefore pay VED when the essential argument is that the road system was built and paid for before there were any motor cars or "Road Tax" and that VED is totally irrelevant regarding anything other than motor-vehicles. Similarly why say thay many cyclists are insured when the argument is that there is no reason why any of them at all should be. And so on.

I read it as a list of comments to counter some common ones used by some car drivers, therefore it was put from a 'driver friendly' perspective.

When some people are faced with 'we have to pay insurance, why don't you?', it is far quicker and more effective to say 'I pay it for x amount of vehicles so what is your point exactly?' than get into a drawn out discussion on the historical and political use of roads.

On that point, I actually think that there is a reason that I should have 3rd party insurance while on my bike, but I am glad that it is my choice to make rather than have that decision made for me.

you are far more likely to die as a result of some old fart in a hat driving the wrong way on the M1 than as a result of some poor old dear on a bike with a basket.

;)

GrasB

Veteran
hackbike 666 said:
you are far more likely to die as a result of some old fart in a hat driving the wrong way on the M1 than as a result of some poor old dear on a bike with a basket.
I refute this as the number of times I've been on the M1 in the passed 3 years I don't even need a hand to count on but the number of old dears with baskets meandering over the footpaths that pass me around work is high :wacko: (yes I did deliberately miss the point ;))

Top Bottom