Bl***y vandals.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
OK, this is a whinge.

I want to reintroduce medieval style punishments for vandalism to bikes.

This being a family friendly forum I don't want to be too specific, but most would involve extreme pain, disfigurement, amputations, and might have fatal consequences.

Now I'll take a look at online bike shops and buy one new 26" x 1.5" marathon tyre to replace one that's done less than 1000 miles and has a cut round 3/4 of the side, and one new Charge Spoon saddle (will look on ebay first) - good thing it wasn't the bike with a Brooks on it, that would have been twice the price.

While parked in a busy spot in Bristol Harbourside area in broad daylight.

End of whinge.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Ain't just Brizzle.

Peteaud

Veteran
Gravel gravel get your gravel.

Bring in ditch digging, road cleaning and chain gangs. Make them wear pink frilly uniforms and do not give them pay.

Mile195

Veteran
That's gutting but I know how you feel.

I once left a virtually brand new mountain bike in Brighton town centre once while I went to the pub. That was a mistake. Someone decided to kick the c**p out of the back wheel while I was gone. Not for any particular reason. Just so I'd have to walk all the way to Portslade.

Gixxerman

Guru
If there is one thing that really bugs me, it is mindless vandalism.
I was once walking down to the working mans club for a game of snooker. As I passed a telephone box, I saw a young lad kicking one of the windows in of said phone box. Two of the four windows were already smashed, which I assumed was also his doing. I asked him why he was doing it. He replied that he was "frustrated as his girlfriend had left him". Go figure.

SamC

I'm too scared to leave my bike locked up because I know that when the idiotic thieves can't get the locks off they'll kick the :excl: out of my bike to punish me for having the audacity to try and prevent them taking my property!

OP
OP
Davidc

Davidc

Guru
Thanks for the support. The red rage has subsided now.

Really annoying is that I was using my wife's bike, with much newer tyres on it than mine, with my saddle. Not as bad as the last time, 4 years ago, though.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I approve of bike crime specific punishments but would have it be more humiliation based. I'm in favour of public stocks bur would restrict projectiles to soft fruit and vegetables (not in the tins). They could be mobile with the miscreant having to appear for a few hours each day in areas around the city.
I would have full page pictures of them in the local paper and around the area. Also I would give them a semi permanent tattoo on the forehead that explained their crime in one or two words.
I thought as well that if they like bikes so much they could be super-glued to one for a while.
They should be laughed at and ridiculed and given punishments specific to the particular crime the commit. It would be as well to set up a branch of the police and judicial system entirely devoted to bike crime so that it got the attention it deserves, to be paid for out of the vehicle licensing fund just to give the "you don't pay road tax" people something to really moan about.
It is possible I've given this too much thought.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
On a more serious note some friends had a white tandem nicked the other week. After a huge local campaign to spread the word for people to be on the lookout for it, it was eventually recovered from a local pond where in which it had been dumped. Not content with merely dumping it they had sawed it in half rendering virtually unsalvageable. There was absolutely no need for this as they could have just dumped it. I think it may well have been out of spite because the publicity had made it impossible to sell. Not that a tandem would be all that easy to get rid of anyway as they are not common.

Top Bottom