Black diamond tubing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukAs98

hello all, I recently brought a falcon bike which has a fame made of black diamond tubing. I do not know much about it so I was wondering if anyone on here could answer a few questions I have about the tubing?

Was it very light?(I would weigh it but I haven't stripped it and it seems to have a lot of extra parts on it)

Was it high end?

Was it on par with Reynolds tubing?

Is it rare and with restoring?

Thanks In advance

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
thats a new one , any pics ?

what era was it from ?

midlife

Guru
There were also red ones :smile:. The Black diamond name was used by Falcon to cover a range of bikes for about 20 years. Like ford uses the name Fiesta, the original is nothing like the ones today.

Any pics? The early ones were 531 main tubes.

Shaun

OP
OP
lukAs98

lukAs98

Mines not early then as it's not Reynolds. Here's a pic

Thanks for all the help by the way guys. I appreciate it
image.jpg

midlife

Guru
That's a later one, sporting the usual Falcon trademark of brazing on as few bits as possible LOL

The Geometry they chose for even their lower end frames makes them nice to ride :smile:

Shaun

OP
OP
lukAs98

lukAs98

Thanks @raleighnut . I don't know where it's been stored but it has literally no rust however a lovely patina as on one side of the frame the paint has all faded

Hi, I have a Falcon Black Diamond from the late 60s and I believe the frame was made from what they called Truwel electrical resistance seam welded steel similar to Reynolds 531. The Black Diamond was an entry level cycle. I would post a picture of it but I haven't worked out how. In the meantime I will try to describe it, 23.5 inch frame,Flambouyant Red,ally drop handle bars with Weinmann side pull brakes, single steel chain ring,5 speed with Simplex rear derailieur, and 27inch steel wheels.
Mine has also faded on one side due to sunlight.

Hi, I have just been looking at your picture it looks very similar to mine apart from the lug work being simpler. Does the badge on the steering tube say designed by Ernie Clements?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi, I have a Falcon Black Diamond from the late 60s and I believe the frame was made from what they called Truwel electrical resistance seam welded steel similar to Reynolds 531. The Black Diamond was an entry level cycle. I would post a picture of it but I haven't worked out how. In the meantime I will try to describe it, 23.5 inch frame,Flambouyant Red,ally drop handle bars with Weinmann side pull brakes, single steel chain ring,5 speed with Simplex rear derailieur, and 27inch steel wheels.
Mine has also faded on one side due to sunlight.
It is in the link I gave but here it is again

Falcon used high quality Japanese Cro-mo steel for these frames. Although considered a step down from Reynolds 531, it’s a great improvement on the gas pipe used by some manufacturers at the time. The paintwork on this one’s in OK shape and the frame has no nasty dents, despite the cosmetic wear that’s highlighted in the pictures. It’s been completely stripped, with the bottom bracket removed and all threads seem fine.

TruWel was a Carlton / Raleigh / Ti product and I don't think they allowed it to be used by other comapanies?

Shaun
Hi, I found a site on Google I think it was either called My Ten Speeds or Bicycle Rainbow I am not too sure, but it does show a Falcon Black Diamond in flamboyant red with a transfer on the frame Tru-Wel.The cycle is very similar to the one that I have apart from chrome fork ends, a metal badge instead of a sticker, and an alloy twin chain ring. We used to call them "Double Clangers" in the old days.

Last edited:
Hi, I am sorry if I got the name of a web site the wrong way around, I have changed it now. The late 1960s Black Diamond that I own rides well apart from being very twichy on the steering, I wouldn't want to ride it no handed. I am using some narrow tyred 700s off of an old Raleigh Criterium, I think I will try swapping them for some 27 by one and an eigth to see if that improves things.

Top Bottom