Black edition - no 3 speed option?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Your final option is to buy a three speed in black and orange and then spend vast sums of money collecting and fitting all the black edition parts.

True. The mudguards will break and need replacing sooner or later anyway, which would be a good excuse to swap them for the black ones.

Kell

Veteran
OP
OP
M

Mrklaw

I think they don’t do the orange for non-black editions?

Went to Brompton junction and they said it was joe a wait until November for the next batch of black edition. Although other shops may have stock, I’d guess they would have a higher number of M6 than M2.

Quite liked the look of the raw lacquer and the darker blue.

Might try the 2/3 speed from Brompton junction to get a feel for the different speeds although there doesn’t seem a handybroad nearby to try it out on.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
2 speeds is fine for central London.

Since you're near TCR regularly, you're only a 10 minute walk from Brompton Junction in the Covent Garden area, so pop over, ogle, and borrow a test bike. It's free, and they have most of the various handlebar and gearing options available.

12boy

Guru
The advantage of the 6 speed is that it gets around the problem inherent with little wheels...getting a high gear. A 12 tooth sprocket and 54 tooth chainring is around 75 gear inches. The 6 speed can go as high as 108 with 100 being standard. That's because the 3 speed hub used for 6 speeds has a 256% increase vs 177 for the regular 3 speed. If you are on flat roads you could just use the high 3 and never shift to the larger sprocket. I live in a moderately hilly area and go up most hills with a 53/12 combination and find that pretty low for flat roads unless there is a stout headwind. I have to coast downhill since i can't pedal that fast with 74 gear inches. I have gone back to my 177"% 3 speed since the 84.5 geariches it gives is better for flats and downhill.

Kell

Veteran
That's around £345 by my reckoning, but I'm bound to have forgotten something.

I forgot the hubs. :rolleyes:

Take off £35 for the rim and spokes and add £45 for full front wheel.

So £355 all in. Plus the price of the Brompton of course.

OP
OP
M

Mrklaw

I’m persuading myself I like the blue and lime green with black bits, in case I prefer the 3 speed :smile:

Still haven’t rented - obsessing over google maps trying to find a reasonable route from Paddington. Walked in along one today which seems ok, except I don’t line Praed Street, and I don’t think I’d do Mortimer street at the end (wiggling though the quieter streets around the BT tower may be better)

Kell

Veteran
I'd drop down to Hyde Park and follow the cycle path around to Brook Street and work my way up that way past Grosvenor Square. Then, if you want to add miles to your journey, you'd end up doing what I do and do laps of the park.

OP
OP
M

Mrklaw

Blimey it’s a heavy bugger! Rented one from kings cross and lugged it back to Paddington. Any distance is not nice. Almost makes me consider an1 speed super light and tie some balloons to it.

It didn’t seem to roll that well in folded mode but I was maybe doing it wrong - just unfolded the handlebars then lift it up slightly?

Also have a stinking cold now which is typical - this weekend was going to be me spending some time with it to start to figure out if the gearing suits

Top Bottom