Black edition - no 3 speed option?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BromptonFan

Blimey it’s a heavy bugger! Rented one from kings cross and lugged it back to Paddington. Any distance is not nice. Almost makes me consider an1 speed super light and tie some balloons to it.

It didn’t seem to roll that well in folded mode but I was maybe doing it wrong - just unfolded the handlebars then lift it up slightly?

Also have a stinking cold now which is typical - this weekend was going to be me spending some time with it to start to figure out if the gearing suits

I think the seat post needs to be raised slightly for a smooth roll. My bike does not roll at all unless I do that. Not a good design.

T4tomo

Guru
I think the seat post needs to be raised slightly for a smooth roll. My bike does not roll at all unless I do that. Not a good design.
If you didn't raise the seat post you'd be hunched over it to roll it? So really it's quite a good design??

Joe Brom

Regular
My S6L (no rack) rolls if I extend the seatpost, tip the bike back on the EZ wheels and push with the saddle as a handle. I have big 66mm TPW wheels which I'm sure helps: the bike can tip back a good bit before the shock touches pavement.

The "shopping cart" mode isn't great, the racked Brommies are probably better for that.

chriscross1966

Über Member
Although, even then, you'd have to spray the 3-speed hub black. :wacko:

I've got a set of Black Edition wheels I want to sell, done a total of five miles so basically brand new. Front is stock, rear is Black Edition rim and spokes fitted to a black 5 speed Sturmey hub. Comes with both thumb and twist shifters, can come with a choice of tyres, currently fitted with new Kojaks, but i can put a part used set of Bromptons or a new set of Raleigh Records on there if you want.

OP
OP
M

Mrklaw

Took the rental for a quick 20 minute ride today on some cycle paths (have been ill so not able until now). First impressions are that second gear is comfortable to bumble along, and third gear is quite a slog. Can fairly easily set off and ride just in second. Will need to take a look at gear charts to see if the standard 6 speed is still ok. I’d want a crusing gear not too far off the standard 3-speed’s second gear.

It seems to have a telescopic seat post - there are two levers. Is the main extending post the same length as the standard?

chriscross1966

Über Member
You have a six speed, you're only shifting the hub, you have to operate the other thumb shifter with them. Also the telescopic seatpost weighs a ton so factor that in to your weight expectations.

OP
OP
M

Mrklaw

You have a six speed, you're only shifting the hub, you have to operate the other thumb shifter with them. Also the telescopic seatpost weighs a ton so factor that in to your weight expectations.

Rental is an M3L - trying to compare with my potential purchase of an M6L. Seems the 4th gear on the standard 6 is the same as the middle gear on the 3 speed so that’s at least familiar.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
They're unusually nice with a Sturmey-Archer AM hub. You don't even need to rebuild the rear wheel as rhe AM internals screw into the SRF3/BSR shell (lube with the brown SA grease or fit an oiler) AMs come up on eBay often - get one with a cracked or rusty shell.

Top Bottom