Black Ice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
Ventured out today, thought I was being very careful: stuck to mostly treated roads, rode very slowly over ice and avoided the need to brake.

And then, a combination of low sun, and invisible black ice, and I end up on my back in the middle of the road with the bike bouncing off the kerb:thanks: Luckily I was turning at this point, so going very slow. I should have realised, it was a road with walls either side and a tree overhead. A driver stopped to check I was OK and to warn me she had just done the same in her car further down the road:thumbsup: I nearly fell just walking back across the road, and the bike wouldn't stay upright as it just kept sliding.

Bike seems OK, the right brake hood/shifter was not straight and had moved around the bar, but I managed to twist it back around the bar - it seems fairly solid but not sure if it could be damaged now? Shifting and braking seemed normal.

I hit my lower back, felt a bit sick and dizzy and had to just take a moment sat at the road side. I then managed to cycle the remainder of the journey home.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Ventured out today, thought I was being very careful: stuck to mostly treated roads, rode very slowly over ice and avoided the need to brake.

And then, a combination of low sun, and invisible black ice, and I end up on my back in the middle of the road with the bike bouncing off the kerb:thanks: Luckily I was turning at this point, so going very slow. I should have realised, it was a road with walls either side and a tree overhead. A driver stopped to check I was OK and to warn me she had just done the same in her car further down the road:thumbsup: I nearly fell just walking back across the road, and the bike wouldn't stay upright as it just kept sliding.

Bike seems OK, the right brake hood/shifter was not straight and had moved around the bar, but I managed to twist it back around the bar - it seems fairly solid but not sure if it could be damaged now? Shifting and braking seemed normal.

I hit my lower back, felt a bit sick and dizzy and had to just take a moment sat at the road side. I then managed to cycle the remainder of the journey home.

Im glad you and you're bike are ok.:hugs:

young Ed

Veteran
done it before, in front of a load of kids on the same school bus as I.... in the center of the local village.....in my school uniform on the way to school :biggrin:

just be careful and try to stay safe!
Cheers Ed

DRHysted

Guru
Glad you're OK.

I've experienced the black ice fall myself and know it's not pleasant or avoidable (it took 4 weeks for the pain to ebb, and months for the bruising to fade).
Now I run spiked tyres from December to end of January.

I had a tumble a week ago: it still hurts when I laugh - I fell forwards and hit the handlebars I think. Good on you for cycling home, I did the same but haven't got back on the road bike since.

The brifters are designed to twist around the bar rather than breaking, but you might want to pop into your LBS to check everything is ok.

Turning is probably what caused it. Mine was in a mini-chicane created by barriers. If I hadn't needed to steer, I'd have probably ridden right through it without noticing.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yep my right brifter was clearly twisted after my tumble on plastic conduit last week, fixed without issue by evans. Scraped levers though :sad:

I too seemed to come unclipped when the insides of my knees connected hard with the crossbar :ohmy:

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
I had a tumble a week ago: it still hurts when I laugh - I fell forwards and hit the handlebars I think. Good on you for cycling home, I did the same but haven't got back on the road bike since.

I was nervous on any patch of ice and even walked down my street, despite the fact I rode safely out of it earlier! I cut my ride short, 25 miles instead of 30. I'm going to make sure I get out tomorrow, it should be around 6C tomorrow so hopefully the majority of ice cleared up! The low sun doesn't help, especially as I am too cheap to pay for prescription sunglasses!

Turning is probably what caused it. Mine was in a mini-chicane created by barriers. If I hadn't needed to steer, I'd have probably ridden right through it without noticing.
Yep, I think luckily rather than being a high speed fall, as I turned the bars to turn right the whole bike just slid out in front of me.

young Ed

Veteran
after my tumble on plastic conduit last week
when the insides of my knees connected hard with the crossbar:ohmy:
not you AGAIN! i think we need to save up and get you a turbo as a collective CC members present, might be safer you know? :smile:
Cheers Ed

vickster

Legendary Member
3, one was caused by a car, one by another cyclist cutting across me, one by 3 bits of plastic conduit! One weird one where I caught my foot on the mudguard but managed to somehow get free of the bike and stay on my feet! :wacko:

Top Bottom