Black Ice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Last winter ( i think ) i was on the way to work and i had turned left at a junction that goes uphill and saw a big patch of sheet ice but the car following me decided to overtake and i had no choice but to try to carry on .
Cue wheel spin and slow speed topple !

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
GWS to all those who have come off.

If it's of any use to anyone, On One/Planet X still have the Snow Stud tyre available pretty cheap (LINK). They've also got others from the Schwalbe studded range but not as big a discount.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I was referring to leisure and training rides, rather than commutes. But I take your point. I commute in all weathers too.
my training in such weather !
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIhTg1cak2XKqQCw1eFGF5YJamMYZFV1TLGCcdmW09vLV8uN10.jpg

Next year i promise to get back into it, thus last year has been a non starter for training what with kids being the age they are .Last few weeks they are starting to be a bit more independent and dont need you to play /supervise them 24/7.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
For those local guys a lot of the backstreets in Beverley have been iffy last couple of days, forecast is a little milder this week though

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
For those local guys a lot of the backstreets in Beverley have been iffy last couple of days, forecast is a little milder this week though
Today seemed better. I rode up through Swine to Routh, Tickton and Beverley and saw no ice whatsoever. I dared not go back to Walkington though!

Picked up a minute piece of glass in Beverley that just pushed through the puncture protection, Beverley also seems to be incredibly busy traffic wise at this time of the year, almost impossible to navigate and some car pulling out the Fire station almost knocked me off yesterday before my other accident.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
When it gets close to freezing I cycle down to the Cheshire lanes rather than the usual mountains. Up on the tops its a lot colder, I go a lot faster downhill and there are plenty of streams that just run across the road. A fairly lethal combination

Having said that my only black ice off was near Alderley Edge in Cheshire. One second pootling along, next second I'm lying on my side in the road, still clipped in, still holding the handlebars with a surprised look on my face

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Today seemed better. I rode up through Swine to Routh, Tickton and Beverley and saw no ice whatsoever. I dared not go back to Walkington though!

Picked up a minute piece of glass in Beverley that just pushed through the puncture protection, Beverley also seems to be incredibly busy traffic wise at this time of the year, almost impossible to navigate and some car pulling out the Fire station almost knocked me off yesterday before my other accident.

Have noticed this too, manor road and norwood just absolutely rammed. Saturdays are always bad with the market but its everyday at the minute

The one time I cycled to work in black ice was a day a couple or three winters back where there were widespread reports of black ice all over the country. I had one wobble at a T-junction near my house which I put down to an incautious angle on lean on a frosty morning, sat the bike up and widened the corner as much as possible (no traffic about thank god). I actually stopped on the way to work as the rear of the bike felt squirelly and I thought I had a slow puncture. Turned out my two shift mates, fellow cycle commuters, had given up and driven as one of them fell off twice within 400 yards of one of them's house and that the roads were liberally covered with black ice :eek:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Parts of the Coast to Coast path between Washington, Tyne and Wear, and Consett in County Durham have been asphalted.

Great, the previous surface was a mess.

But the asphalt is ideal black ice territory, and being a cycle path there isn't much room either side if you do fall.

I'm sure users are grateful for any investment in the path, but relaying it as cinder track might have been better.

Top Bottom