Black J-Bend Bladed Spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickster

I seem to be finding it near impossible to find a replacement bladed spoke of the spec I need. The blade is 3mm wide and 1.2mm thick. Does anyone know where I might find them please?

AndyRM

XOXO

Big John

Guru
Is that your measurement presumably taken with a digital caliper? I've found a black spokes that's 2.2mm x 0.9mm that's a J bend. Would that do?

Edit: Are you absolutely sure it's 3mm wide? That's larger than the spoke hole in most hubs so how does that get through? I think that's why you tend to find bladed spokes are straight pull.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Trickster

Is that your measurement presumably taken with a digital caliper? I've found a black spokes that's 2.2mm x 0.9mm that's a J bend. Would that do?

Edit: Are you absolutely sure it's 3mm wide? That's larger than the spoke hole in most hubs so how does that get through? I think that's why you tend to find bladed spokes are straight pull.

Its definately 3mm wide, they are Alex rims on a Scott road bike if that means anything, or helps. The thickness is actually 1.4mm, having now used a digital caliper.

Big John

Guru
If you're 100% sure of those measurements I can't find anything on the websites I use for looking for spokes. I've not found any that are wider than 2.2mm or thicker than 0.9mm. As for the spoke hole in the hub i don't profess to know every hub on the market but the collection i have in my shed don't go any larger than 2.6mm so your spoke wouldn't fit any of them. What hub have you got?

OP
OP
T

Trickster

If you're 100% sure of those measurements I can't find anything on the websites I use for looking for spokes. I've not found any that are wider than 2.2mm or thicker than 0.9mm. As for the spoke hole in the hub i don't profess to know every hub on the market but the collection i have in my shed don't go any larger than 2.6mm so your spoke wouldn't fit any of them. What hub have you got?

Thanks for taking the time to look, much appreciated. I cant identify the hub itself, but they are Alexrim wheels. Ive just had a good look at the hub and the spoke holes are not round, they are slotted or oval, presumably to allow the wider spoke through.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Couldn't go wrong with these could you? (?)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305472132166?
"Please allow slight manual measurement deviation for the data."
:welcome:
Just replace with a decent DT Swiss Aerolite
Does it matter if 2.3mm as opposed to 2.9mm? Will the wheel become unbalanced? Will you leak watts?

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
It looked promising, but the site doesn't specify dimensions (only length), not width or thickness.

Ah, sorry it's not more helpful. To be honest I've never really considered width or thickness of spokes. I'm sure there will be some kind of difference, but pretty minimal I'd have thought?

OP
OP
T

Trickster

Couldn't go wrong with these could you? (?)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305472132166?
"Please allow slight manual measurement deviation for the data."
:welcome:
Just replace with a decent DT Swiss Aerolite
Does it matter if 2.3mm as opposed to 2.9mm? Will the wheel become unbalanced? Will you leak watts?

Thanks for the links. I was keen to replace like for like, but as you say the 2.3mm will do the job. Just seems odd that the 3mm are so difficult to find.

Top Bottom