Black Mountains Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I've been kind of invited on a group ride in April into the Black Mountains, Wales. Apparently it's a little hilly and will include 'The Tumble', and 'Gospel Pass' amongst a couple of others.
Given I haven't even done Box Hill which is local to me, wondering if anyone has experience of this neck of the woods?
It's a twice annual thing, and looking at the Strava route for last year, a nicely paced ride.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Gospel Pass is awesome, ridden up and down it twice. Tumble I've never ridden, but it's got a reputation…
Box Hill is a pussycat in comparison to that neck of the woods!!
Edit: The view from the Gospel…
9978630035_5c7a27600d_b-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Gospel Pass is a must do. I've ridden it several times. Two close shaves on the descents cause by drivers who think bikes should ride in the gutter and get out of the way of those in cars.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Both go above 500 meters neither are extremely steep but are still long climbs.

I prefer to climb Gospel Pass from the Hay on Wye end as you then have a long descent all the way to Abergavenny.

bpsmith

Veteran
Never done Gospel Pass, but have done the Tumble a few times. Great climb. Not steep but a steady decent percentage which keeps on going. Amazing views from the top!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Well go and do Box Hill then, and see how you go from there. There's one chevron on the road up to Gospel Pass from Hay, but otherwise they're all long climbs: Gospel Pass from south or north, and the Tumble, but pretty steady.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I know them both well, although I haven't ridden either for over quarter of a century. A few years ago I was driving down the Tumble, probably after visiting the Big Pit with my family, and I astonished my kids by saying I was once able to cycle up this. At the time I was sure my cycling days were over and I couldn't believe it either.

Apart from the well-known B-road from Abergavenny to Blaenavon, there are two other minor road routes up the Tumble. I don't know the route from the east, but from the map it looks the most challenging option. The westerly approach, beginning at Govilon has spectacular views up Cwm Clydach which you won't see any other way, and for a while runs along the edge of an unfenced vertical precipice. So well worth checking out if that's your thing. I may be heading out that way later this week (not on my bike) and I'll try to get some photographic evidence.

I've only ridden the Gospel from the south. Most say it's an easy climb. Certainly it climbs gently for mile after mile, but don't be deceived; just when you think it's going to be a doddle all the way there's a sharp kick up to what you hope is the summit. It isn't, but a least when you get there you can see what's left.

If you get the weather, it's fantastic:

Gospel1984.JPG

There a two other routes across the Black Mountains to Hay roughly parallel to the Gospel. Neither is quite as high, but they're great too, and I'd expect them to be quieter. From what the OP said, he might be experiencing at least one of those as well.

Edit: I've straightened out my easts and wests. Too cold for my brain this morning.

Last edited:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I've been kind of invited on a group ride in April into the Black Mountains, Wales. Apparently it's a little hilly and will include 'The Tumble', and 'Gospel Pass' amongst a couple of others.
Given I haven't even done Box Hill which is local to me, wondering if anyone has experience of this neck of the woods?
It's a twice annual thing, and looking at the Strava route for last year, a nicely paced ride.
Care to share the strava route ?

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I did the Tumble from Abergavenny last year with @Banjo . He was kind enough to pretend he hadn't wanted to go any faster, but I had to stop a few times on the way up. Nice to find an ice cream van stationed by the little lake at the top and to take in the well-earned views. A great descent back down into Blaenavon, with views of the Bristol Channel in the distance.

As for the Gospel Pass, unlike @Banjo, I really don't like the look of the climb out of Hay. (Too steep for my liking). From Brecon, it would also be a killer (we came down one 25% bit with my brakes squealing and my hands were white with squeezing the bejeezus out of the levers. I was still doing over 10mph and seriously deciding which hedge to aim for if I met a car coming the other way! I did the Gospel Pass Northwards last year and really enjoyed it. Apparently it is the highest paved road in Wales, so it's a good one to bag. It is a long, but not too arduous climb northwards up the valley, with the chance to stop for tea at Llanthony Priory. Most of the climb is in the trees, but with nice views to the right across the valley. Cars can be a bit bothersome in the Summer, as the road is narrow and can get quite busy at times. It all opens up at the cattle grid near the top, and gets steep for a short while before opening up fantastic views at the top. I would choose to drop down to Hay on Wye next time for a café stop.

I think you will enjoy them both.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
The area is exceptionally rich in industrial archeology. When I was last there plans were well advanced for converting the Heads of the Valleys road to dual carriageway up the Clydach and were underway in Gilwern. I fear that there may be quite a bit of destruction up the Clydach to do this.
It looked a bit of mess when I was there a few months ago, but no doubt it will heal in time. It's certainly a massive project. As recently as the early 2000s I used to enjoy riding both up and down the main road in the Clydach Gorge, sometimes continuing on the Heads of the Valley road. It seemed a perfectly natural thing to do at the time, but sadly it will never be allowed again. I can't imagine a closed road sportive choosing to go that way.

One hill in the area I never touched on a bike is Llanelly Hill. Anyone who thinks the Tumble is too easy...

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Can’t see Llanelly Hill on this list @Aravis. Is it called anything else?

Would have thought it would figure amongst those contenders.
Really? I thought it was dead famous. I first heard of it when Joey McLoughlin won the stage in Cardiff (?) on the way to the overall win in the 1986 Milk Race.

You can find it on the OS map by following a minor road leaving the B4248 northwards between Brynmawr and Blaenavon. It's in grid squares 2212 and 2312, if I can be so old school. Confusingly, there's also a village called Llanelly a couple of miles to the north on the other side of the Clydach.

If that one's not enough, there's something similar, which again I've never taken a bike to, a couple of miles south of Llangattock. That one doesn't even seem to have a name.

Top Bottom