Black !!!???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sidevalve

Über Member
First off this is no rant for dayglo gear !
Couple of days ago [yep in the sunny bit] lad passed my house in black, the whole lot [even a black/grey helmet] but for a few tiny reflective bits.
Thing is this was mid afternoon when the sun was hot as hell !! The man must have had ice in his veins !
Each to his own I guess but maybe a white jersey ?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Actually on the continent a lot of (older) folks wear black even during the hight of summer. they don't seem to be melting away.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
I wear a black helmet, black shorts and a majority black top, unless its "poor viz" weather when I break out a red or yellow top. Not noticed it being nay hotter in black tbf, when compared to how hot I get cycling anyway.

OP
OP
sidevalve

sidevalve

Über Member
Interesting, just working on the theory that dark things get hotter in the sun. Would make an easy experiment to check [assuming we get any more sun of course]. Maybe the constant breeze keeps the body temp down ?

I only own black or dark coloured cycling gear and to be honest once the temps above 30c the colour of your clothes makes very little difference.

Also bike shorts in any other colour than black are just wrong and can lead to over exposure of junk!!!

numbnuts

Legendary Member
colourful shorts.jpg

Black shorts.....I like colourful ones :ohmy:

My understanding is that black objects reach their maximum temperature quicker than white ones but that the max temp is the same for both.

Top Bottom