Blackwall Tunnel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I'm thinking of cycling through the Blackwall Tunnel in the small hours of the morning - around 4/5am as I'd like to cycle up to Billingsgate Market and this is the most direct route for me.

I have a very, very bright front light so that won't be an issue.

Anyone had experience of cycling through the tunnel at that time or during more normal hours?

Reckon it's a good idea?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't think that cycling is allowed. Have a look at the bottom of the page in this link...

http://www.londontra...lackwalltunnel/

Edit: in the "Information" section

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Oh yeah- I know that is the official line...however, I know people do and have cycled it - same goes for the Kingsway in Holborn

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Don't do it Grace. You say yourself that your fitness is not as it should be at the moment. All you need is one peanut car driver behind you in the tunnel making a fuss, it has a 30mph limit. Do the Rotherhithe tunnel (20mph limit) or Woolwich Ferry instead.

MARKE020272

Grace, Take the foot tunnel from Greenwich by the Cutty Sark. It will take you across to Island gardens and it's a short cycle around the Docklands to Billinsgate Market. You may need to check that the tunnel is open if you planning of going very early morning. The website says it doesn't open until 6.00am. Much more pleasant than the Rotherhithe tunnel though.

Hope it helps

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Grace, Take the foot tunnel from Greenwich by the Cutty Sark. It will take you across to Island gardens and it's a short cycle around the Docklands to Billinsgate Market. You may need to check that the tunnel is open if you planning of going very early morning. The website says it doesn't open until 6.00am. Much more pleasant than the Rotherhithe tunnel though.

Hope it helps

The Greenwich foot tunnel is shut and it looks like it's going to be shut for around 4 weeks. There's a notice posted up on the closed entrance to that effect. I know this because I tried to use it today. The Woolwich foot tunnel is also shut and the ferry doesn't start until 6:10am, so the Thames (aka Greenwich council) is being a bit of an obstacle at the moment. I went up to Tower Bridge because the weather was too nice to think about taking the Rotherhithe Tunnel. But it might not be too bad around 4/5am, not that I've never actually had to do it myself. And it ever I have to I'm going to cycle on the pavement because the road's just too narrow.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I've never cycled through it but I used to drive through it every day in a former job.

I wouldn't go anywhere near the North tunnel on a bike.

The tunnel keeps going round sharp corners which mean you could very well be out of sight at sections of the road.

Also, the height restriction keeps trucks (and some White Vans) penned in the inside lane so if you get one of these then it could be a very stressful ride. Especially as I can't remember a time when the tunnel wasn't busy, day or night.

Finally IMHO it stinks (I think worse than Rotherhythe).

The South tunnel would not be a sensible choice either IMHO, but by the time you would be riding back then other options should be available.

U

User10571

As above, both foot tunnels are currently out of service.

At the time you are talking about, Rotherhithe Tunnel should be traffic-lite or traffic free.
You've also got the (illegal but pedestrian-free) pavement to cycle along in there - personally, if you're reasonably fit it is no big deal to maintain the same clip as the traffic in there, but at that time of day there should hardly be any. There's a 20mph limit in there, and the traffic generally doesn't exceed that.

On a more salutary note...

I have it from the Legg-bandaged one, that if you do transgress into a cycle prohibited tunnel, you will be spotted on the constantly manned CCTV, they will close the tunnel to traffic to allow you to exit safely, and then they'll bill you for the closure.

I can't think how he knows this.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I have it from the Legg-bandaged one, that if you do transgress into a cycle prohibited tunnel, you will be spotted on the constantly manned CCTV, they will close the tunnel to traffic to allow you to exit safely, and then they'll bill you for the closure.

I can't think how he knows this.

I'm guessing personal experience...though how they'd bill you and identify you is hard to know!

Thanks User10571- looking at my options at present and I reckon I live on the wrong side of London to cycle it BUT will see and keep planning a possible directish route- TFL website faithfully and inaccurately tells me the journey would take me just over an hour- a little bit less than a combo of several buses. I might see if a friend of mine north of the river and slightly eastwards would let me crash at hers if we both plan to go to the market...!

U

User10571

..though how they'd bill you and identify you is hard to know!
I think they put a big net across the exit portal. Srsly. Or something like that, anyway. Its not difficult, the Blackwall tunnel is staffed 24/7.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
lol - at this rate, I should cycle out to the coast and bring a net and catch my own bloody fish!!

Though Rotherhithe tunnel looks like a valid option at the moment - slight detour but not too bad.

Top Bottom